30. Memento Mori

'Hello?' A deep voice pierced the receiver.

'It's me, Jackie.' The man in red began to speak through the receiver, scanning Abe's documents once more.

'Oh.' Dark spoke, trying to hide his surprise. The hero was calling him. 'And why are you calling? Especially at night?'

'I need to speak to you about something.'

'O.... K?' The entity huffed, the receiver making a static noise.

'So.' Jackie went over to perch on the sofa, looking at the faces and names on the papers. 'I went to Abe's office a while ago.'

'Abe the detective?' The man hummed, remembering the man's face from the back of his mind.

'Him. Yeah. Getting to the point of this conversation, there have been multiple killings recently. The force hasn't convicted anybody yet-' Here Dark snorted.

'But they are sure the murders have been committed by the same person.'

'Um, why does this concern me again?'

'A figure was sighted a few times. Witnesses described him as a 'shadow'. Anything click?

Dark hummed. 'Slightly. Carry on.'

'17 murders and they've stopped suddenly. In fact, since the incident happened.'

'Ah. Is it Anti or Adison? That, in fact, is what I'm asking myself now. Suspicions point towards both.'

'W-Huh?! You know who's killing?!' Jackie's voice blared through the receiver and Dark pulled it away from his ear annoyedly, wondering if he had gone deaf.

'Perhaps.'

'What do you mean, 'perhaps?!' Jackie scolded. 'People died!'

'Memento mori.' Dark sighed, fiddling with his Unus Annus hourglass.

'No no, no!' Jackie put his head in his hands, trying to clear his thoughts and how mysterious and uncaring Dark was being. 'Answer me this. Who is Adison?'

'Well, I figured the one who kidnapped Anti was Adison. The two are... Connected in some way.'

'What do you mean?'

'I dunno.' Dark rolled his eyes as he spoke down the receiver. 'Friends?'

'I swear Chase, Robbie and JJ are his only friends.' Jackie huffed.

'But if there's one thing I'm sure of, it wasn't Anti doing the killing.' Dark said, watching Wilford come in and perch on the desk before him.

'Why?'

Dark blinked.

'He was bullied at school.' The suited man shrugged. 'He never killed anyone. Sure, he tortured them, but if there's one thing I know about the glitch, it's that he can't handle seeing a dead body.'

Jackie let out a long sigh.

'Dark, you don't even know him. How do you know he hasn't started killing?!'

Dark closed his eyes, taking deep breaths.

'I don't know him?' His red aura grew in anger, and Wilford stood up, staying away from the entity. 'You Septic egos treat him like garbage!'

'At least we give the glitch a good fight.' Jackie shrugged.

'Jackie, listen. I'm not helping you here, I don't know how to. What I can tell you is that a shadow demon called Addison is killing, not Anti.'

His voice went soft as he spoke again.

'Anti's not the monster, Jackie. If you hate him so much, get Sean to Ctrl, Alt Delete.'

OOF! (For any misunderstandings, Dark doesn't want Anti to get deleted, he's just showing how easy it is to destroy the glitch, and the fact they haven't done it yet means the Septics do have some humanity left in them.)