17

It's been a few months after I met my biological family...I seem to get along with Ian but...things are still awkward between father and I. But...it's getting harder to sleep than usual...damn it. I know I had insomnia but it wasn't that hard...the pills won't work. I'm sleepy but I just won't...is it because of the experiments? 

"Yohan, my dear. Are you cheering me up?" I giggled at the big fluff that was whining "I'm fine, don't worry."

"Bella. It's time for class." I heard Lucious's voice from the other side of the door. He's been waking me up every morning, this caring side of his is very cute. But I wasn't sleeping anyways.

"En, I'll be down soon." I raised my voice so he could hear.

 "Yohan, you heard him. I'll see you after class, be a good boy okay? Don't destroy my furniture anymore." I gave him a bear hug, snuggling my face against his. 

Ah, I don't feel like going to class...I'm tired. The academy's security is really hard to break through, I've been trying here and there but...there's no escape route...maybe it really is impossible...no, I can't lose hope.

"Lucious, I'm here." I greeted him with a smile.

"Are you okay?" His voice turned serious.

"Yes?" My eyes widened slightly...do I look like I'm not fine?

"Your dark circles are...are you getting enough sleep?" His voice was laced with worry "Or is it because of the experiments? Those bastards..."

"Bella, your eyes..."

"Not you too Hibiki...I'm fine so stop looking so worried!" 

They don't seem convinced at all...I slept a little last night, half an hour maybe....

"Let's go to class, I'm fine. It's just a little hard to sleep." I linked our arms together and dragged them to class. "We're turning fifteen soon, today's our last day being fourteen."

...even though I said it so enthusiastically...class really is boring. Ha...what should I do, I'm so bored...when is it going to end? Classes seem to make time slow down so much...

"Bella..." Orange-sensei's voice made my whole body jolted up, it's that time of the week...I forgot...

"...I'll be excusing myself." I stood up from my seat and headed to the door. I'm the one who's getting called but why do they look so much in pain? More than I am.

"...sensei, when will their greed be satisfied? Is it wrong for me to live? Is it wrong that I want to live too?" I asked softly.

"...Bella, I'm sorry I'm so powerless." Orange-sensei knelt down making my eyes widened "I really wish I can help you escape, but even I am chained to this system." 

"...I'm just blabbering, sensei doesn't need to apologize. It's not your fault...I just wanted to...voice out my frustrations." I patted his head, maybe this is rude...but I can't do nothing when he is shedding tears. 

"I'm fine sensei, I shouldn't have asked. I never knew you would cry." My eyes softened...right, I have people who cares about me...I should be glad I'm the only one being treated this way-

"Sister." I felt someone hug me from behind, this small figure must be...

"Liam, what are you doing at the middle school division? Don't you have class?" I ruffled his red hair and smiled. I blocked orange-sensei from his sight, it'll be embarrassing for sensei after all.

"...sister, are you going there again? I don't like that." His eyes narrowed, as a frown appeared on this face.

"I'll be back. Be a good boy, go back to class." I pecked his forehead. "Liam, you know your sister is strong right? I'll be fine."

"...fine. I'll kill those bastards one day..." His eyes darkened...the boys are not good influence on him it seems.

"...Liam, don't say such scary things." I lightly scolded him.

"Sister, you were counting everyone you killed while humming when we first met. Aren't you more scarier?" He tilted his head innocently, those boys really, what did they teach him?

"Bella, we have to go." Orange-sensei spoke up with a soft voice.

"I see, Liam, I'll see you back at the dorm." I waved at him and followed sensei, hell's about to start.

"Today's experiment will be light, don't worry. We just need you to use your ability." The man in front of me smiled, I hate the look in his eyes. "Use it for 6 hour straight, make sure you boil the water that's surrounding you using your full power. Don't stop."

"You're not afraid I'll drown the whole school? We're on an island that's surrounded by the sea." I scoffed.

"You have people close to your heart here, you won't do that. And, we'll only remove your restrictions once you're in that room. It's a room that restricts your ability after all." He smirked...I wish I can fucking mop his face. " And make sure it's full power, we can tell."

Full power huh? I'll die in my twenties if this continues. Whatever...I'll endure this through like always...1 hour.....2 hours....3....4.....5....6.

"Well done for today. Looks like our session will end soon." 

Will end soon? Are they letting me go?

"After all, you don't have much time left." He said nonchalantly.

"...what?"

I felt my heart drop, I knew...I didn't have much time but...

"I guess you should know. It seems like you inherited it from your mother but well the experiments and your unique conditions made it possible for it to show its symptom at the tender age of 15." 

"...is it a disease?"

"Why should I tell you? Go ask your twin...but I can tell you, you have 18 months at most, especially since you're starting to show its symptoms. That's why you have dark circles."

"Fatal Familial Insomnia...that's what I heard from Ian, the reason our mother died. I assume I'm the same?" I let out a chuckle...one year and a half...no that's if I'm lucky...one year...one fucking year.

"Oh smart, well just increase your dosage. You can go, the session ended anyways."

I'm going to die in a year...just because I can't sleep?! In the first place, what are the symptoms? I need to search it up-

"Bella...you just got back? You look drained...I'll walk you back." I felt someone grab my shoulder.

"...you scared me, Ian." I pouted, has he been waiting?

He...should I just ask him first?

"Brother...what did our mom experience? When her symptoms started showing..." I asked, I can feel my hands trembling.

"You were never interested-" His eyes widened, did he see my hands tremble? "You, don't tell me you..."

"I'm just curious." I gave him a close eyed smile.

"...you suck at lying...what are you saying when you're crying?...When did it start?" His hands clenched into a fist, ah he's holding his tears back. He said that I was crying? 

I looked at  the ground...ah I really am crying. "I don't know, I always had insomnia but...I didn't know it would progress." 

"Bella...not you too...please not you too." He hugged me in his arms making my eyes widened. He's trembling...I wish I could comfort him...saying I'm fine...

But all I could do was let out a helpless whimper, "Brother...I don't want to die...one year is too short...I'm not ready."