Attacked

In the heart of the village of Rose Hills, Tennessee, Tony, Harley and I walk in the town at night. The only lights available were those coming from strung up Christmas lights of obnoxious colours and people busily filled the streets looking for last minute Christmas presents.

"The sandwich was fair, the spring was a little rusty, the rest of the materials, I'll make do. By the way, when you said your sister had a watch, I was kinda hoping for something a little more than that." Tony speaks as he pulls his sleeve up and we get another look at him wearing a little girl's pink watch, making Harley and I burst into laughter. Tony just frowns at us.

Tony and I were now in slightly warmer clothes now as well. Harley had gotten us knit sweaters to put over our shirts. Mine was white while Tony's was red and we were given big winter jackets and Tony had a baseball hat on top.

"She's six! Anyway, it's limited edition. When can we talk about New York?" Harley asks excitedly as we turn down an ally.

"Maybe never, relax about it." Tony replies.

"What about The Avengers, can you talk about them?" Harley asks instead and I couldn't help but smile at the curiosity of the boy.

"I don't know, later." I say softly to Harley and he gives me a small smile which I return.

"Hey kid, give me a little space." Tony asks and we stop at the remains of the local explosion site that Tony and I came to investigate. It had painted memorials all over the walls. Cards and flowers littered the left over rubble and candles had been lit as a reminder to those who passed.

"What's the official story here? What happened?" I ask Harley.

"I guess this guy named Chad Davis, used to live roundabouts, won a bunch of medals in the army. One day, folks said he went crazy and made, you know, a bomb. Then he blew himself up right here." Harley explains to us.

I take another look around at the remains. Harley sat down on the road and I joined him pulling him into my side to keep him warm. He happily tucked himself into me.

"Six people died, right?" Tony asks still walking round and getting a closer look at everything.

"Yeah." Harley replies.

"Including Chad Davis?" I double check.

"Yeah."

I nod and watch Tony looking around at the remains of the explosion site.

"Yeah. That doesn't make sense. Think about it. Six dead, only five shadows." Tony explains and I pick up on that too as Tony sits by my side and pulls my hand into his.

"Yeah, people said these shadows are like the mark of souls gone to Heaven. Except the bomb guy, he went to Hell on account of he didn't get a shadow. That's why there's only five."

"Do you buy that?" Tony asks the young boy making me shove Tony lightly. He was only young. I mean he was smart yeah, maybe a little to smart for his own good but this was heavy stuff. I didn't need another man in life having nightmares.

"That's what everyone says. You know what this crater reminds me of?" Harley asks and I shake my head.

"No idea. I'm not...I don't care." Tony says bluntly.
"Tony!" I scold him.

"That giant wormhole, in um...in New York. Does it remind you?" Harley asks innocently and I glance over at Tony to see him cringing. I stroke his hand tentatively in my own, comforting him.

"That's manipulative. I don't want to talk about it." Tony says.

"Are they coming back? The aliens?" Harley asks with innocent blue eyes.