Our son

I was currently situated in a rickety wooden chair that was highly uncomfortable as I stared intently at the constant moving swaying metal balls in front of me on the matching bland wooden desk. I know it's supposed to be a piece of art and I mean, there must be thousands of these all over the world created to sit on desks all day. Some people may even argue they help calm your anxiety but I think the complete opposite. The sway movement of them and the small tick noise they make whenever they meet makes my heart rate raise and puts me more on edge.

You're probably wondering what on earth I'm doing here in a small confined office, made up in a suit and on the edge of my seat. I had to put my hands underneath myself to avoid chewing my nails and I chew my lip now and again out of habit.

After fighting with the court for almost a month because a certain mother (if you can call her that) wouldn't show up or hand over custody to a boy she abandoned, I finally won and now ended up here, ready to sign an adoption paper in the centre of New York. The court case had been passed over from state to state in between Tennessee and New York, it was ridiculous. This poor boy had been from home to home and he deserved so much more. Everything was about to change for the both of us today. I was becoming a mother. At the age of 28.

I was more than happy and ready. I knew the responsibility and the impact it would have on my life but I've grown so close to Harley. When I first talked about the idea with him, his eyes filled up with tears and he almost practically begged me to go ahead with the adoption and that's all it took for me to start the long winded process. For a young boy I was astounded how patient and understanding Harley was, I was in close contact with him throughout the process and we both grew more excited as this day grew nearer and it was finally here. Tonight he was coming home with me.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of the office door opening and shutting, filling the void of the room up with its loud sound. An old man in his late sixties who looked like he should of retired a few years ago holds a gentle smile as he sits back down in front of me.

Seeing his tight smile and ridged posture, plus the amount of time he had been gone made me come to the conclusion myself that we had run into a problem. The thought alone made my shoulders sag.

"Miss Barton, I'm afraid we have come to an altercation. Your resume is outstanding and as the court concluded we have no issue handing Harley's custody over to you." Mr Johnson began.

"But?" I asked.

"But we need another signature on this paper, as a precaution and emergency contact. The court failed to inform you of this therefore, without a second signature today Harley will not be able to come with home you this evening." He sighed.

I knew it wasn't this man's fault, he had tried to help me so much the past hour but I couldn't help but feel defeated.

"O-ok, how much time do we have? I can call my brother, see how long it will take him to down here, is there anything else we can do today?" I stutter. I worked so hard for this, I wanted Harley to come home with me tonight.

"I'm sorry Miss Barton but with no signature in the next hour, I can't do anything for you." He replied.

"Ok, I understand. Thank you for everything Kurt." I tell the man in front of me as I lean back in my chair utterly defeated.

"I am sorry Miss Barton." He smiled kindly at me.

Just as I was thinking of getting up and rushing out of here, the office door opens again. I quickly turn to see who was walking in and my jaw drops at who I see.

If his smug smirk and perfectly gelled hair didn't give him away then the sunglasses indoors and crisp suit he was wearing definitely did.

Tony waltzes into the room as if it's his own office back in Avengers Tower's and sits down in the wobbly chair next to me.