Chapter 6

Pov: Liliane Chevalier

I let go of my phone and entered my room, approaching Ricardo to see his almost finished drawing. "I told you you're annoyingly good at everything," I huffed, taking the time to study the strokes on his paper.

"I told you I'm not the annoying one," he replied, turning around to look at me. After a few seconds, he stood up, walking to me, "Liliane? Are you okay?"

"Yeah? Ofcourse. Why do you ask?"

"Your expression is different than before," he said, searching my eyes with a serious face, "Are you still worried about your mother? She's gotten so much better. She'll be up, running on her feet in no time."

I bent my head down, a pang ringing in my chest when he hit the bullseye. He didn't use to be so attentive before.

"It's a bit.. difficult," I admitted, my voice a low murmur, "You're right though. She's healing."

"Exactly. Don't let it get to you," he said, waiting for me to talk again. I didn't have much left to say, so I nodded.

"Liliane?" he spoke once more, making me look up at him.

"Yes?"

"I want to talk about Seungmin."

Well, shit.
I want to talk about anyone else.

"Why?" I asked, suddenly getting nervous.

"Is he your boyfriend?" he inquired, tired of waiting around. He was a straight-forward guy and this was typical of him.

"No. He's not," I stated, subconsciously staring at my phone.

"Why did it feel like you were slipping out of my fingers then?" he asked, slowly walking closer to me.

I looked away and hummed as he stood in front of me. I had to admit that the new way he was acting made my heartbeat accelerate, but this heart of mine wasn't working properly. My real one was back in Korea, with the guy who was probably asleep at this hour. It was 4 am there.

I didn't understand what was happening to me. Since when did I stay loyal to someone I had gone out on one date with and never gotten a confession from?

His giggle never left my ears, even when I returned to France. The smile he wore and the different ways he surprised me on our date had left a huge impact on my heart. The pictures we had taken together were viewed by me at least once a day.

It was like he had me wrapped around his finger though he'd probably forgotten about me already. I wasn't helping myself either because I barely answered his texts. I didn't want him to see me in this weak state. Crying so much at the end of our date was already one of the cringiest memories that played on repeat every time I tried to fall asleep.

I couldn't keep lying to myself. There was a guy who was able to make me feel like I wasn't in control anymore. That guy was Seungmin. I only realized it after I parted with him.

"You like him that much?" Ricardo asked, a bit irritated though he was trying to mask it, "Even though you're not together?"

"Yes, but I'm not sure if my feelings are reciprocated," I said, finding it hard to accept the crack in my ego.

"Liliane," he spoke, his voice stern yet soft, "I want you."

I looked up at him whose eyes were earnestly gazing at mine. My raised brows expressed how shaken I was by his clear confession.

"I want you," he repeated, "I can't imagine anyone else standing beside me as my wife. We're a perfect match."

I still couldn't answer him, so he continued, "I can't express how much I regret letting you meet up with other men. I should have told you these things a long time ago. The fact that your eyes would sway from me one day, it's always been on the back of my mind."