Chapter 24

Pov: Isabelle Snow

Just as Calvin had said, a long time went by and I hadn't seen him. It was the most restful long time of my life. He and his father could disappear for all I cared.

Then came the day of the gala Scarlett would be holding, and thankfully, I had no business there. Changbin, however, had to attend undercover to stop Calvin from completing his mission.

A man had pissed Lieutenant Pierce off, so he was planning on executing revenge tonight. Ofcourse, Changbin had his way of finding some things out, and knew he had to stop them. He and a few of his men attended the gala undercover, and he returned unscathed. The mission was a success, since he'd caught Calvin in the electrical room and had stopped him from causing a power outage.

For once, the fact that the two units were still subjected to the same head worked in our favor, since neither Changbin nor Calvin had the right to directly kill each other. The most they could do was fight physically.

If they wanted each other dead, they had to find ways other than taking each other head-on. That was a relief, since Calvin was more skilled and had more experience in combat than Changbin ever could, given that Calvin was not a full-time idol. Just the fact that Changbin had stopped Calvin by himself in the electrical room meant that the latter was either not giving it his all, or couldn't fight properly because something was holding him back. I was actually curious about that, so I planned on visiting him myself. That way, I could report back to Changbin too.

Another, more surprising fact, was that Scarlett had been in a deadly situation, and Changbin, who hated her so much these days, had still saved her. When I asked him about it, he explained that it was a reflex. He didn't choose to save her. His body just moved on its own when he saw her in danger.

It was understandable since, even though I didn't like her either, I wouldn't want her dead.

Since we had found the time to talk, I also asked Changbin something that I'd been wondering about for the longest time.

'Why are you hiding everything from your members?'

His answer was the simplest yet most clear.

'For their safety.'

In the world of organizations, the less you knew, the safer you were. Much like how I refused to tell my brother about most things and how I didn't inform Hyunjin of the truth, asking him to keep it a secret.

It just didn't work that way. Chan had accidentally listened in on one secret conversation, and this whole mess had started. The less they knew, the more they were protected. It's not like Changbin and I didn't want to take everything off our chests, but we had to think of what was best for the others first and foremost.

***

"Isabelle?" Calvin asked, surprised to see me enter his office. He pushed away the papers on his desk and gave me his full attention. Even Liam, who was resting on the seat in front of his best friend's new non-glass table raised his brows upon seeing me. "Did that bastard ask you to come?"

His dad became a bastard again. They've definitely fought.

"No. I just heard there was a mission during the gala and Scarlett won.. I came to find out how you lost against someone like her."

At the mention of Scarlett, Calvin instantly glanced at Liam whose lips grew into an entertained smile. "No. No, just stop," Calvin groaned.