Chapter 41

Pov: Olivier Roche

"You have a visitor," the housekeeper, madame Anaïs, told me.

After driving Liliane around, I'd visited the doctor to finally take the cast off. I couldn't explain how refreshing it felt to return home, take a nap, shower, and enjoy a beautiful evening while cooking- with two hands. Two!

But who'd visit at this hour?

It's not the lieutenant coming for my ass, right? Won't be surprised if it's actually him wishing to suffocate me with missions now that I can work again. But why come personally?

I approached the door only to get a heart attack. The camera clearly portrayed Vipress on the other side, elegantly waiting in front of my doorstep. I'd have rathered welcoming the lieutenant.

I'm still in sweats and an apron..

I abruptly turned around, staring wide-eyed at madame Anaïs' narrowed gaze. "Um.. Tell the guest I'm not home."

"You're hiding from a woman? I did not raise you to play with someone, then run from them!" she announced, the mop in her hand suddenly looking like a feral creature.

What kind of a man does she take me for?

"Woah! You have definitely misunderstood this!" I exclaimed, raising my hands up and swinging them between the door and I in panicked innocence. A swish of her mop made me dodge to the side and snort.

"Face your mistakes, boy!" she scolded, trudging to the door when I jumped in front of it.

"Wait! Wait! I'll open it. I'll open it, alright? Please leave us alone, and erase whatever you're thinking cause it's wrong! She's just a co-worker!" I tried to be as quiet as possible, hoping Vipress wouldn't hear the frenzy her sheer presence had caused.

"Hmph! The things I have to deal with.." She stomped out of the room with a scowl on her face. Her hair had grayed from the number of times she'd scolded me for necessary and unnecessary things.

Phewh..

I took in a deep breath, running a hand down my face. Her assumptions were rich. Me? Playing with Vipress and then hiding from her? If anything, it'd be the other way around, and she wouldn't bother hiding.

Now that my arm was out of that odious cast, though, I didn't feel as weak anymore. Dealing with her was going to be a breeze. No more restrictions, and no more being pushed around. I was no longer under her mercy.

I opened the door, keeping a poker face on as I looked down at her slowly blinking glass eyes. She only broke her intimidating stare when she monitored the rest of my body. Her attention was set on my apron, and a grin graced her lips.

I'm not even going to ask where she got my address from.

She took a step forward, manicured fingers tugging at my apron. "This is the longest I've waited for anyone."

I'm honored.

I swatted her hand away, making her slightly raise her eyebrows. "What are you doing here?"

"You're going to leave a defenseless woman outside in this weather?"

"Where is she?" I asked, a brow curved as I stretched my neck to seek the woman she spoke of.

She gave out a deep laugh, amused as she gently pushed at my chest, making me sigh and step back. Her heels clicked inside my house, and she let her coat slip off her back and onto the couch. Once her entrancing dress was exposed, she comfortably walked into the kitchen as if she owned the place.