Chapter 17

Pov: Isabelle Snow

"Oh, are you leaving now?" the lieutenant mocked, forgetting his son and taking a few big steps to appear before me, "You're leaving because you want to, Isabelle?"

"I apologize," I breathed, fixing my posture and looking at the ground in fear. I had messed up big time. "I thought you.. You didn't want to see me anymore."

As I'd expected, his every word reeked of alcohol and it didn't help my nerves at all. He was scary when he was mad, but mad and drunk were a combo that had me shaking with the mere thought. Even though I was strong enough to fend for myself, when it came to the lieutenant, I was simply not allowed to. Any form of disobedience could immediately have my brother's name rolling off his tongue.

Just accept it and take it. Always.

He turned to his son while grabbing my arm forcefully and shaking me left and right. "This is how they'll treat you when you-" He twisted my arm and I yelped before I bit my upper lip to silence it- "Don't discipline them-" He thrust me to the ground, having my arm slice through the glass end tables on the corner before they started bleeding- "Properly!" His eyes gleamed with sinster satisfaction as he saw my shaking irises. He flounced over to kick my hunched figure and I covered my face with both arms, but his son's words distracted him.

"That's funny," Calvin scoffed, glancing at me for a second before looking back up at his father, "I don't remember anyone respecting you when you're not around."

Shit. Shit. Shit.

The man got so angry, his red face could explode. He marched towards his son, taking out a pocket knife in the process. "What did you say to me?!"

"Exactly what you heard," Calvin said, his hands still in his pockets as he glared down at his father who was a few inches shorter than him. I sat up on my knees, watching in horror as the lieutenant gripped the knife harder. The only obstacle between them was the glass table, and it was more of a weapon than a barrier if you asked me, since the next second I blinked, the table was thrust over in Calvin's direction. I didn't even spare the time to see how the fight would end.

I needed to get out of there.

I pressed on my bleeding arm though my palm wasn't big enough to cover the whole gash up. The door wasn't far, so I stood up, trying to silently leave when the table crashed into a million pieces in the background, having the shards fly all around the room. The lieutenant let out a loud yell of expletives at his son, then bolted to the door where I had finally reached.

"I didn't realize I'd raised a mutt! Your mother would certainly be proud of you!" He shoved me back onto the glass covered ground as he used the exit instead, leaving with heavy, stomping footsteps behind him. The ground underneath me was coated with numerous droplets of blood, and I refused to look at my red, shaking hands.

Not Calvin's mother..

Ignoring the shards excruciatingly pricking my skin, I glanced at Calvin who was so furious, his chest heaved as he breathed. Trickles of blood oozed out his wounds, slowly running down his arms. He was obviously making it worse for himself by clenching his fists and causing the glass to go deeper into his tissues.

It seemed he couldn't swallow the mother comment, and abruptly cursed at his father, rushing to the door as I jumped in front of it. "Don't do anything rash! You're going to get yourself into-"

"Why were you even here?" he snapped, the anger barely contained as he spoke through gritted teeth, "Did you NOT HEAR that man's booming voice all the way DOWN the hallway?!"