Chapter 9

Warning: Possible mention of physical abuse or panic attacks in any Isabelle chapters.

Pov: Isabelle Snow

A little girl.

She was a tiny, tiny girl.

No one but one soul knew how she ended up at the orphanage, and luckily, it was her teacher who warned her never to reveal her story.

Given a new identity at six years old, the tiny girl was taught nothing but lying. She was already covered in bruises when she and her brother were put in a room with other kids they had never seen before.

Her teacher, miss Jade, was a retired agent who helped the siblings hide who they were and let them stay. When she tried to acquaint little Isabelle and her two-year old brother with the rest of the orphans, things didn't go as planned. The children didn't understand why so many spots on Isabelle's skin were tinted purple. They didn't understand how she had so many cuts and looked so different, and therefore.. ugly.

Isabelle herself wasn't good at socializing. Why was everyone laughing at her? Why wouldn't they play with her? What was wrong with her? Why did they call her ugly?

As the years went by, she was old enough to understand what made her so hideous. In order to forget about her past, she used all kinds of materials to cover up even her faded scars. And the one on her face.. It was covered by a mask.

Although the garments hid the constant reminders, they did little to wipe the memories away. After all, she didn't need to see the scars to be aware of their existence.

Her peers had grown more mature and some tried to apologize, but she didn't believe in making friends anymore. All she needed was her brother who was the only blood relative she knew was alive.

People's stares made her anxious. She preferred being a loner, always by herself in a corner, reading a book. That way, no one would look at her long enough to see her concealed flaws.

If anyone asked her how she ended up at the orphanage, she was told to recite the same monotonous story.

'My baby brother and I were found at the doorstep of the orphanage one day. The scars? I have no idea how they're there. I was already injured when I was abandoned in front of the orphanage. About before then? Hmm.. I don't remember. All memories before being accepted by miss Jade are gone.'

Lies.

Lies.

Lies.

If there was a title for her life, it would be 'lies'.

Jade had noticed how the little girl flinched at every sudden movement. She knew that the child had been through things that would traumatize even the most mature of adults. What could she do? She needed to provide her with some strength.

As soon as Isabelle hit her tenth birthday, Jade took her under her wing and began to teach her defense. Little did she know that Isabelle would not be satisfied by learning a few moves just to fend for herself. The kid had a flaming fire raging inside her chest. She wanted to be the strongest woman alive so she could protect her brother forever.

Now Isabelle didn't have too much passion in life. The only thing she enjoyed doing was drawing whatever she saw. She'd follow Jade around, jotting down all of her movements. She sometimes ran to the garden outside and sat on the grass for hours, studying the way leaves fell off branches and flowers swayed with the wind. She wanted to capture everything she found beautiful so she could share it with the two people she loved.