Chapter 30

Pov: Olivier Roche

I had not been able to see her for a long time, but on this particular night when I couldn't sleep, clicks of heels informed me of her arrival. As soon as she entered, the room was intoxicated by her perfume. She always looked expensive, never ceasing to astonish me with different dresses and jewelry whenever I could catch sight of her. Maybe she was at a new club every night, completing missions like no other agent, or maybe she just had a deep appreciation for partying; nothing about her was certain.

She wasn't expecting to find me awake at 3 am, so she didn't bother looking my way

She wasn't expecting to find me awake at 3 am, so she didn't bother looking my way. Her first stop was at the table on the other side of the room. The sound of her nails clicking against glass bottles filled up my ears as she checked on the medications. She then proceeded to read some of the reports that were piled up, waiting for her rare arrival.

With how much she normally checks me out, I don't feel bad for doing the same. If anything, I'm elated to have this golden opportunity to study her instead. No one can deny how alluring she is.

Once done skimming through the papers, she raised her head up to gaze at the sky. Following their usual habit, her iridescent eyes fell on the moon, and her thick, long lashes fluttered, as if enchanted by its brightness in the dark of the night. It was no surprise that her stoic face gave none of her thoughts away. Her frozen figure concluded a silent conversation with the moon before she parted her red lips. "You're as boring as when you're asleep."

"You knew I was awake?" I chuckled, rolling over to grab my cup of water. My scratchy voice was too used to the silence to come out smoothly.

"Your breaths sound slower when you're asleep," she murmured, and I still wasn't used to her weird way of thinking. After lots of analysis, I didn't believe her aim was to sound creepy; she just didn't perceive things the way people usually did.

She sure enjoys making me nervous though.

"Is your hearing that sensitive?" I asked, but she didn't deem my question worthy of an answer. A few minutes passed by and I took in a deep breath, deciding to ask her what I'd wanted to find out for the longest time. "Do you really use live human beings for your experiments?"

"Yes."

She didn't once tear her gaze away from the moon. My question didn't surprise, offend, or threaten her. Nothing did.

"Don't you find that to be wrong, morally? Those are human beings with precious lives, non?" I continued, risking my life by trying to understand her. The special treatment she constantly showered me with had gotten to my head, and I felt safer with her than I'd like to admit. I may have secretly looked forward to seeing her. She was interesting in the most bizzare way possible, and I constantly hoped to understand what went on in that mysterious head of hers. Maybe I could be the first male she opened up to? I could help her get over her prejudice.