nine.

Sean rested his head against his pillow and looked up at the ceiling

Sean rested his head against his pillow and looked up at the ceiling. The sun hadn't come up yet and he could see the purple, orange and blue hue from the sky from his peripheral vision. The house was so quiet you could probably hear a pin drop and so was the neighbourhood. The only thing you heard from outside were the sounds of car doors slamming shut as the older heads made their way to work.

That's how Sean knew that he was up too early.

He tilted his head over to his mini dresser that was placed near his bed. Reaching out, he grabbed the small notebook that was resting near him. He leaned up against his headboard and began writing.

I really can't remember the last time that I've enjoyed myself. The last time I was able to put the pen down, put work aside, put life aside and enjoy things without thinking about the fear of the unknown. The fear of the future and what it might hold for the unfortunate like me and my loved ones. Would we get the same fate as the others more fortunate than us? Am I even deserving of that? I look around the community and I see how much we love and support each other through our struggles, but we didn't choose this life. Why were we handed this life on a silver platter? And we're left to deal with it. I know I'll make it out, but what about my people?

Sean looked over at his phone and realized that his alarm had been going off. He slipped out of his bed and immediately shut off the annoying alarm. Running his hands over his head that was covered in a durag, he grabbed his towel from the rack behind his door and made his way into the bathroom.

Unfortunately the air conditioning in the house hadn't been working, so they depended on the air that seeped through the windows and fans. Sean's father assured them that someone was going to come in and fix it, but it seemed like Sean had to take it upon himself to do it. He was tired of waking up feeling like he had just ran a marathon.

He sighed with content at the feel of the lukewarm water seeping down his body.

Once he was done with the shower, he headed out and began to crack his neck as he began his morning routine, and he didn't have to rush the process either. Finally, he was able to use the bathroom without his brother impatiently waiting for him to get out or barging in there.

He tossed on a graphic t-shirt, customized jean shorts and new shoes that he had bought himself. Vanessa insisted that he treated himself with some new shoes, because he hadn't bought many things for himself since he just got his job at the beginning of high school. He would spend half of his pay check on shoes, clothes, food and new skateboards, until he realized that he couldn't just keep spending his money without a thought. His parents were struggling to stay afloat and they didn't even know how they were going to send him off to college.

They'd already spent half of a fortune trying to get his older brother into school years ago.

He insisted that he didn't have to go to school, but they wanted him to. Even if it was a community college twenty minutes away from their house.