thirteen.

It's hard having dreams in a world where you don't think that your dreams are supported

It's hard having dreams in a world where you don't think that your dreams are supported. We live in a world where the minorities were born with a set back already. The colour of their skin, their culture and sometimes the circumstances they were born in. For me it was everything, especially the circumstances. I have dreams, some of them beyond Boston. But it feels like they're all out of my reach.

Sean pushed himself off of his headboard and looked down at his phone. He sighed heavily and went through his notifications. He made it his mission to try and get ahold of Drake, but he didn't succeed. They hadn't spoken since their disagreement and it'd been three days. Drake didn't show up to school either and it left all of his friends worried.

He slipped out of his bed and headed down the hall towards the bathroom to start his routine. He closed his eyes tightly at the feel of the hot water cascading down his body. He ran his hands over short curls and sighed heavily. His entire body felt tense. Although he was just eighteen, he felt like he was forty with how much his body ached.

Pay day was coming soon, which meant that he worked his ass off for the week. He made sure that he went to all of his shifts after school. He couldn't even remember the last time he went to the hub.

Suddenly, the water that helped his muscles loosen up was now cold.

"Mama!" He called out as he quickly took a step back and turned the water off. He grunted and took a deep breath before he continued to shower using the cold water. His skin began to rise at the feel of the cold water. The one time he needed some time to relax before his day started. He couldn't even do that, because they no longer had hot water.

"Why are you yelling in my damn house?" Jennifer yelled from downstairs.

Sean blew out a long breath as he opened the shower curtain and stuck his head out.

"The water went cold."

Quickly, he rinsed off and made his way into his room. He slipped on his boxers and moisturized his skin. The cool air stuck onto his skin as he threw on back sweats and a white t-shirt. He threw on a baseball cap over his buzz cut that was growing out. He was planning on growing his hair back now and tried his best to not go to the barber shop for another cut.

"Mama, the water went cold. The bill needa be paid or something?"

Jennifer looked up from her phone and rested her cup of coffee in her hand, "Don't worry about it."

"Mama, you could just tell me and I could scrape some change-"

"I said don't worry about it, Sean. The water will be back to normal before the day ends," She spoke in a final tone and looked back down at her phone.

Sean sighed heavily and made his way towards the fridge. He didn't understand why his parents didn't like the fact that he wanted to help them out. It wasn't like he was making dirty money. He was working hard for what he earned and he was willing to help them out.