thirty.

Alex's feet quickened as she walked along the sidewalk

Alex's feet quickened as she walked along the sidewalk. She gripped her bag and looked around the quiet neighbourhood. She could feel the heavy stares of the people that lived throughout the suburban area but that wasn't her main focus as she almost ran to the gates nearby.

Her face was stoic and eyes wide with urgency as she quickened her pace.

Finally, she met up with the gates and pushed them. She pressed the intercom and crossed her arms impatiently.

"How may I help you?" The male spoke through the speaker.

"I came to see Yazmin."

"She isn't taking any visitors."

Alex scoffed in shock. "Yes, she is."

The eerie pregnant silence caused Alex to raise her eyebrows.

"Oh hell no."

Alex stumbled back a bit and gripped the handle of her bag. She slung it over the gate before she gripped the bars and tried to climb over the large gate. Her grunts of perseverance and struggle was all that was heard as Alex tried to hold onto the gate.

Suddenly, she heard the sound of a click and the gates began to jump. Quickly, she jumped off of the gate and ran towards the grass to grab her bag.

"Y'all did not want me to jump over this gate!" She called out.

"Off of the grass!" The man yelled through the intercom.

"I'm grabbing my bag,"Alex yelled. "Damn."

The teenage girl walked around the driveway and onto the porch. She rang the doorbell and pursed her lips as she waited. A few minutes went by before the white door swung open and revealed Mai. The old lady smiled and opened the door wider.

"Hello."

"Hi," Alex smiled and hesitantly stepped. Her nerves took over her entire body. She hadn't been in Yazmin's house for weeks, but she had to put her feelings aside. This was urgent.

"I told them to let you in."

Mei opened her arms and pulled the young lady in. Alex froze and tensed up with her arms around the older lady. Slowly, she relaxed and hugged her back. She hadn't been hugged like this since she was a child.

Not from anyone.

Alex never grew up in an affectionate family. Both of her parents weren't known to be affectionate. She couldn't remember a time where her parents kissed or shared any deep intimate moments. But, she needed that. A genuine motherly hug.

"Is Yazmin here?"

"Yes. She's outside with my daughter playing tennis. I was going to bring them some lemonade. Did you want any?"

"Yes, please."

Mei nodded towards the kitchen and led Alex towards it. She opened the fridge and grabbed a tray of ice then rested it against the white marble counter.