thirty two.

Drake sat in the middle of the living room on the plush brown couch

Drake sat in the middle of the living room on the plush brown couch. His brown eyes were trained on the TV before him as he placed his legs out on the coffee table. His laptop rested near him since he decided to take a break from his assignment. The house was quiet, the only sound being heard was the TV. He was thankful that there wasn't anyone home. If his mother was home, she was either nagging about something regarding Drake, the house, work or her man. If Randy was home, everyone knew how that went.

Everyone went to their selected areas and stayed there until he was either passed out on the couch or in their bedroom.

Drake hated his mother's boyfriend. They'd been together for five years and supposedly met at the grocery store. He didn't mind that Octavia had a son because he also had a daughter that was a few years younger than Drake. He claimed that the mother didn't let him around very often, so he wasn't in constant communication with his daughter. Drake knew why now.

Drake and his mother's boyfriend; Randy, never got along. Drake was aware that Randy wasn't his father and couldn't take his place. But, Randy was so hyperfixed on becoming his father, despite the fact that he already had one.

Things began to escalate from there and it hadn't been the same since.

As Drake continued to watch the TV before him, his phone suddenly began to ring. He smiled and quickly answered.

"Hello?"

"My man! How are you, son?"

"I'm good. Just here... doing some school work."

"Sure you are."

"What's going on with you, dad?" Drake smiled.

It was always a good time when he spoke to his father. His parents divorced when he was ten years old for reasons that he didn't know about. His parents made it their job to not include their son in things that he wouldn't benefit from knowing. But, he felt like they just became two different people who weren't in sync anymore. Drake's father was fun. Although he was a strict parent, he was also a free spirited person. He enjoyed the arts and crafts of things, he enjoyed traveling, sight seeing and learning about history that was never taught. Octavia was the opposite. She was a nurse that lived by the books. She always had been. She was grounded in herself and didn't like the idea of traveling.

Drake's father wanted to spend his senior days living on an island. Octavia didn't think that was realistic in the world that they lived in. The families that they were born into.

He felt like that was the reason why his parents didn't work out. But all he could do was guess and wonder why.

"I'm just here. I was thinking about getting you a ticket to come up here."

"In Vancouver?"

"Yeah," He chuckled. "It's not too bad up here. I'm thinking about moving back home when you graduate so that I could be closer to you."