twenty eight.

Sean wiped the sweat from his head as he lifted the box from the stand

Sean wiped the sweat from his head as he lifted the box from the stand. He carried it onto the platform and watched as one of his employees drove it over to another station. His entire shift consisted of lifting boxes and making sure they were carried over to other stations for them to be shipped. Ever since he became one of the supervisors, he'd been doing more work even when he wasn't supposed to. All he was assigned to do was make sure his station was running smoothly. He didn't have to put in all the work that he continued to do. But, it was just in his nature. He knew that nothing would get done the way that he wished unless he did it himself.

"Sean!"

He whipped his head around to see the manager heading towards him with the work phone in his hand. Sean taped down the last box and turned around.

"Hey."

"It's for you." He handed him the phone and whispered, "It's your dad."

Sean sighed heavily. He knew what his father wanted.

Slowly, he held the phone towards his ear. "Hello?"

"Sean?" Allen questioned.

"What's up, Dad?"

"You know what time it is?"

"Nah... I don't have my phone on the floor."

"It's four o'clock, which means you should be punched out and on your way home."

"Alright, I'm almost done."

"Now, Sean," Allen said strongly.

He and his parents came to a conclusion that he didn't have to stop working, but he did have to cut his hours during the week. Instead of working a full thirty-five hours throughout the week, he was working sixteen hours a week and they were all four-hour shifts. His parents were cracking down on him when it came to school. They realized that he was beginning to lose focus and he was having tunnel vision on just work.

Both of his parents went to college and his mother was the only one to graduate. It was hard to do it with a child, but she pulled it off. She was able to become a nurse for the elderly. She was always a nurturing person. It was second nature for her to take care of others.

Fortunately, they had their parents to watch Jared whenever she had classes or work. It was unfortunate that Allen couldn't continue with school, because he couldn't juggle working all the hours that he worked and providing for his family. But, he had a plan. Once Jared became a toddler, he went to trade school to be a systems mechanic where he specialized in doing refrigeration and air conditioning. He made it a goal to learn many things that weren't just what he specialized in.

He wanted to be an all around man, so he understood Sean's mentality. But, he didn't have kids.

Allen wanted him to have a better life than he did. And, it was evident that due to the environment Sean was raised in, he didn't think that he deserved one.