sixteen.

I can't remember the last time I spoke to my parents and felt heard

I can't remember the last time I spoke to my parents and felt heard. I've never been in a situation with them where I felt understood and respected, and I was never able to build that with them. I sometimes wonder what is wrong with me? Why do they never want to be around me? What did I do? How can I make it better? How can I make my parents love me the way they love what they do?

Yazmin slammed her journal shut and looked up. She was surrounded by green as she sat on the bench outside of her school. Every single day she dreaded stepping into the building. She hated being around people that weren't genuine and were robots. The only thing that kept her grounded was the reminder that she was almost done with school and would be going off to college soon.

Soon she'd be able to leave all of this behind her and move away.

Quickly, Yazmin stuffed her journal into her bag and jumped out of her seat. She flipped her hair behind her shoulder and looked over at her best friend.

"So, where are we going again?" Penny looked down at her phone. "I just need to tell my dad."

"We're going to the salon."

"Oh, you've been reading my mind. I need a trim," Penny frowned with disgust at her red curls.

"I'm going to buy stuff not to do my hair."

"That doesn't mean I can't do mine."

Yazmin rolled her eyes and walked over to the car where Curtis stood outside waiting for them. They thanked him and slipped into the back of the car before Curtis pulled off to their destination.

The two best friends walked into the salon and were immediately greeted by the addictive smell of hairspray, the loud chatter and music playing in the background.

Yazmin walked over to the receptionist desk and politely smiled at the man sitting before her.

"Adam, how are you?"

"Yaz! Look at you looking all grown and beautiful as ever. I see you're taking care of your hair."

"I try," She smiled. "I'm looking for Jesse. Is she in today?"

Jesse had been Yazmin's hair stylist since she was a child. She had also been doing her mothers hair even when she was a teenage protégé working under her former boss. Now she was a successful woman who owned her own salon and traveled the world doing what she loved.

It wasn't that Sophia didn't know how to work with Yazmin's hair, because they had similar hair types, but she just didn't have the time and the care to do it. Why spend hours doing something that you can pay people to do?

"Yeah, she's in the back."

"Alright, I'll be back."

Penny nodded and leaned over to Adam. "Do you have any free spots for a wash and trim today?"