꧁~Saying 'Hello'~(LXXI)꧂

c.71

Slowly descending, the ground below, became more and more detailed. 

"You ever been to Gatlinburg?"

Turning away from the window, I placed my focus in the eyes of the younger brother.

"Only once," I replied, "a little over a year ago, went with a... a friend of mine."

After stopping to think for a second, I cleared my throat, "s-so have you guys been before?"

The three of them nodded, with Lily being the first to speak up.

"Many times, for many different reasons," she said.

Taking the time to evaluate, I asked, "do you all usually travel as a family?"

"It depends... on the circumstances."

'Circumstances'?

~~~~

As the jet rolled down the pavement, I glanced at Techno, a rush of anxiety washed over me. Taking a deep breath in, I spoke words of comfort inside my mind.

The next few minutes felt like a daze, my headspace in one place, body in another.

Every word the boy spoke sounded distant, but near. Going where my feet led me, I felt almost dizzy. He said something to me, but I couldn't tell you what it was about.

María?
'María?'
"María?"

Trying to shake it off, I knew I would be kicking myself for this later.

Are you okay?
'Are you okay?'
"Are you okay?"

"María?" It was his voice, "Are you okay?"

Suddenly falling back into reality, I was caught in his worried gaze.

"M-I'm sorry..." I managed to whisper in shaky words.

His hands cupping my face, as I held onto his arm above the elbows for support. We were stood hidden from the rest.

"You don't have to be, I just need to know if you're alright or not."

"I think I a-"

"Hey," Lilly cut me off as she walked into view, motioning for us, "come on."

She didn't say anything else, just left as fast as she appeared, leaving us alone again.

I slowly backed away from the boy and sighed, looking down at my hands that fiddled with my sleeves, I turned and left in the direction of everyone else, "I'm fine, let's go."

A couple dozen steps later, Techno and I were back in the presence of the familiars. Su familia.

"Right this way, madam," a man with a thick French accent spoke to Mrs. Billiam.

Mrs. Billiam had a couple of words with this man in a suit, but my mind didn't follow the conversation, I just glanced around.

The loudest noise, heels click to the ground, a rhythm much like my very own heart beating. We were following this man, and my feet led me.

"Parlez-vous Français ? Vous avez l'air d'avoir un accent."

I looked over at the woman, now paying attention. Her words flew so lightly off the tip of her tongue.