Making Golden Calfs Out Of God's Blessings

🐮

God heard the cries of the israelites while they were in slavery. They had been in slavery for 400 years and God had a plan to redeem them. He sent Moses his servant to tell Pharaoh to let His people go. If not God would allow a plague to fall on Eygpt but not harm His people.

Pharaoh heart was hardened and he refused all 10 times to let God's people go, the last plague was the worst of it all and finally, Pharoh let go of God's people.

God gave the Israelites favour so that the Egyptians could give the articles of silver, gold and clothing they wanted.

Exodus 12:35-36 (NKJV)

35 Now the children of Israel had done according to the word of Moses, and they had asked from the Egyptians articles of silver, articles of gold, and clothing. 36 And the Lord had given the people favour in the sight of the Egyptians so that they granted them what they requested. Thus they plundered the Egyptians.

After staying there for a very long time. Isreal made a Golden calf. They used the very same BLESSING, FAVOUR AND PROVlDENCE God gave to them.

Exodus 32:1-4
32 When the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain, the people gathered themselves together to Aaron and said to him, "Up, make us gods who shall go before us. As for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him." 2 So Aaron said to them, "Take off the rings of gold that are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me." 3 So all the people took off the rings of gold that were in their ears and brought them to Aaron. 4 And he received the gold from their hand and fashioned it with a graving tool and made a golden calf. And they said, "These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt!"

The problem is never that God doesn't want to give us our desires. If you desire to get your dream job, to travel or to get married. Those desires are never a problem but rather God cares a lot more about whether those same desires will become your worship. Will those desires take you further from him? Will it capture your heart? It's easy to say no when you don't have something but God knows the pride that will follow if He hands you that platform. God knows the idolising that will come if He gives you that person. God knows how your priorities will suddenly shift once you get what you desire. How when He was once your everything becomes part of your 'things'.

God doesn't delay out of spite but He prefers bringing us to a state where we have learned full dependency in Him. He wants us to know that only He fulfils us, only He fully satisfies and no matter what He gives, He knows that your heart will always belong to Him.

The one sin I see in the Bible the Israelites did that would hurt God was idolatry. God is a jealous God, He doesn't want any competition with any gifts or blessing, He doesn't want to compete for your heart because it wasn't created for creation but your creator.

God would prefer withholding or delaying something for you to realise that creation was never supposed to take the place of your creator.

God has no problem giving the desires of our hearts but what's the intention behind the desire?

Before God gives any gifts, He prefers and equip us for it. Growing up, we didn't have much, we struggled a lot financially and I would despise it! Even though it was very long, for most of my childhood I couldn't afford what I wanted and would often get angry whenever I saw not appreciate things they got or show much gratitude.

Glory to God, my family has overcome that but I'm so grateful for those moments. Those moments where we had to walk for a very long time to get home because we didn't have a car. Those moments when we sometimes wouldn't have much or all I could eat was butter and bread all the time. Having a toaster was a dream, having anything other than butter was a blessing to me!