Chapter 39 ll "It's the face of a happy boyfriend."

Zoey's POV

I scowl in frustration. I swear to god, one day, I'll chop off all my hair so it wouldn't be such a hassle to take care off.

I brush through my wavy hair once more and move to my wardrobe to change. I give up.

I change into a nice black dress which I don't ever wear. If I'm actually trying to look nice by wearing a dress for someone, that someone should feel really honoured. And in this case, Chris Martinez, my boyfriend.

I mean, I don't even have a proper 'date outfit' to begin with. I just wore some skinny jeans and shirt for me and Chris' first date.

I lie down on my bed. Yes, my bed, not Chris'. Don't be surprised. I needed time and privacy to prepare for this date since I'm the one planning it, okay. I have huge responsibilities.

And by responsibilities, I mean trying to make some actual food that wouldn't send Chris into the Emergency Department.

I woke up at 7 in the morning and sneaked over to my place to start preparing for the food. I thought it'll be better if I made them myself even though I know full well that this talented lady right here, which is me, lacks the only talent of cooking.

Around 11, Chris came pounding on my door, hollering for me to 'get my ass back into bed with him'. I took his set of my house keys along with me in the morning so he wouldn't have a chance to get in. I want that element of surprise, alright.

After 20 minutes of shouting and threatening, he gave up and went back to bed I guess.

I bought the ingredients yesterday while Chris was busy napping away since he stayed up for god knows what reasons. I didn't really question him since I was too caught up with this.

I started off by making glazed doughnuts and rocky road brownies. Followed by the cheeseburgers which were quite a hassle to put together. And lastly, the bacon, fries, pancakes and smoothies - banana for him and blueberry for me.

I have everything packed nicely already and since I don't have any mode of transport there, I guess it wouldn't be much of a surprise after all, seeing Chris will definitely figure out what I'm up to by the location he's driving us to.

I am actually feeling really jumpy about this date. What if he thinks this is too cheesy or something? What if he doesn't show up?

No, that's dumb.

I glance at the clock - mmm, four more minutes to go.

I stand up, straighten my dress, to get ready to leave. I grab the bag full of food and exit the house.

-

The door opens, revealing Chris.

He's wearing his white shirt and black skinny jeans just as usual, but he looks nicer than usual.

"Wow."

I blink and look up at him.

"You're actually wearing a dress."

I fake a scowl, "What are you trying to say?"

"No, I mean. . . you look nice. Not just nice, but really pretty and . . . nice. Come on, you don't ever wear dresses. The last time you wore a dress was . . . I don't even remember?"

"And I'm actually wearing one today for you."

Chris grins shyly, "Are you trying to say that I'm special?"

"No."

"Aw, thanks."

"You're welcome. Let's go now."