Chapter 12 ll A cute idiot. A sad idiot. A broken idiot.

Zoey's POV

Chris remains silent as he walks me through the house. He didn't ask about anything. He didn't laugh at me. He didn't question me, which I was grateful for. We reaches the bathroom.

"Wash your face," he sounds sympathetic. Gently, I splash my face with the cold water. Staring back at me in the mirror is an ugly girl. Her mascara is smeared all over her cheeks, her nose red from the constant sniffing. Behind the teary, red eyes, there were emptiness and regret. I bite down on my bottom lip to stop myself from sobbing again.

The cold water trickles down to my chin, tracing the edges of my face, as if washing away all the strong emotions I was experiencing.

"Come here," Chris has a towel in his hand. I stagger into his welcoming arms.

He tightens an arm around my waist and raises the other hand with the towel to my face. Tenderly, he dabs away the drops of water on my face. Starting from my nose, to my cheeks, to my forehead then to my lips. Then he wipes away the residue of my makeup. As he traces the area under my eyes, his grip on me tightens. Something flashes across his eyes.

This time, it wasn't just sympathy. Hmm, was it anger...? Sadness? Pain...?

"Much better."

He smiles and drops the towel. Both of his hands rise to my head and pats down my hair gently.

"Don't cry," he coos. "Please don't, alright."

I feel my heart constricting tightly.

"Okay."

I look up at him through my lashes. Wow he looks so beautiful.

I was about to push myself away from him, when he tightens his arm on me and unexpectedly pulls me into a tight, affirming embrace. He breathes into my hair.

"Don't cry."

"I'm trying to but you're making me tear up now, idiot."

"I'm sorry then, the idiot who is crying just now."

"You're such an idiot."

"Back to you, idiot."

We are both grinning at this point of time. My face is pressed to his chest. I can feel his grin against my hair.

"Let me go, idiot."

"Okay, idiot. Just don't cry."

"Idiot, I'm not crying."

"Okay, idiot. Don't call me idiot, idiot."

"Shush idiot, let me go already."

He laughs and his grip loosens. Using the lapels of his jacket, I wipe of the remaining moisture on my face. "Idiot," I murmur.

"Idiot?" he chuckles.

"Idiot."

"Are you speaking Augustus Waters to me?"

"Shut up, idiot."

"Okay okay. Let's get you home, idiot."

Chris brings up a finger and pokes my cheek. He ushers me out of the bathroom. I thought of looking for Evelyn to tell her I'm leaving, but I didn't want to be alone in the crowded house looking for her. Convincing myself that she'll be okay with Levi, I follow after Chris.

He starts up the ignition of the car and buckles up. I slide into the back seat, earning a questioning look from Chris. I smile sweetly at him. He raises an eyebrow with humour.

"Start driving, idiot." He chuckles. After taking off my shoes, I shuffle around the seat and lie down, curling into myself. Chris drives off.

Fatigue is overtaking me slowly. The last thing I saw before I drifted off, was a beautiful silhouette smiling at me through the rear view mirror.