Chapter 35 ll None, you'll just get distracted too easily.

Zoey's POV

After we spent fifteen minutes eating our food, we went to bed.

I dreamt of a vague silhouette and sweeping sidewalks.

It was 6.30 in the morning when I woke - wait no, being woken up.

"Zoey, wake up."

I grunt.

"Zoey, wake up."

I grumble.

"Zoey!"

I groan.

I peel my eyelids open slowly. Chris is standing over me, smiling.

"Yeah?"

"Come on. I want to show you something."

-

Chris leads me to his living room as I rub my eyes groggily, trying to keep them as wide as possible.

"What is it? Huh?" I murmur.

"What are you mumbling about?"

"What do you want to show me ?"

"Just follow me."

I hold onto his hand loosely, I feel so lazy. I just want to go back to sleep. Chris has already changed out of his gray sweatpants, into dark blue jeans and a black shirt. Mmm.

We walk to the window that's facing the street.

"Look." He points to something, or rather, someone that's on the sidewalk. A man that looks like he's in his late 60s is sweeping the sidewalk rhythmically. His movements slow but at ease.

I stare at him curiously. Chris wraps his arms around me from behind and rests his head on my shoulder.

"See, isn't it nice to lessen his workload?"

I nod dumbly.

"He comes here every weekend to sweep the sidewalks. I don't usually ask for help but I thought I could use you as a free labour yesterday."

"You do this every week?"

"Yeah. Unless I'm working on an assignment or something."

"I don't see you doing it when you're with me."

I can sense his smile before seeing it through the vague reflection on the window. "You're the assignment that I'm working on."

I tilt my head to look at him, my attention diverted for a moment. "Oh, so I'm an assignment now?"

"Yeah."

I turn my attention back on the old man sweeping the sidewalks. So that's why he insisted on doing that last night.

"Do you want to go back to sleep? You have to leave for your father in a few hours."

"Oh, right. Him."

"Come on. You need more sleep."

I tear my eyes away from the man as Chris tugs on my hand, pulling me away from the window.

"Do you need me to drive you there?"

"Yeah. I think so."

"Alright."

I climb into bed, Chris following suit. He hugs me close so that my back is pressing against his front and sighs.

"It's going to be okay, yeah? Don't let whatever that's going to happen later on affect you too much. Remember to text me." He showers the back of my head with kisses, "Now sleep."