Chapter 7

"Good, now try to get some more sleep, the maids are working on cleaning your new room." Cassandra ordered, standing up and forcing you to lay down again.

You only nodded before falling into a dreamless sleep, glad to finally be welcomed by the silent darkness.

When you woke again, you noticed the scenery had changed. You weren't laying on a couch near a fireplace, you were in a bed and sunlight was just starting to eek through the curtains. With a soft groan, you sat up in the bed and noticed a slip of paper next to you, [S/C] digits carefully grasping the paper to let your tired eyes get a better look at it.

Pet,

Your chores today are simple; clean the kitchen after every meal, make sure the windows are shut properly on the first floor, and clean the Opera Hall which is located on the second floor.

- Lady Dimitrescu

You read over the note again, the only thing that really stood out to you being the opera hall part. It brought you a little bit of joy — enough to motivate you to get out of bed and change into your uniform. Once you were dressed, you rushed down to the kitchen, bowing slightly to the other maidens as they ushered out of the room.

Great, so I have to do this alone... That's probably for the best, honestly.

After the last maiden left the room, you got started cleaning — starting with the dishes and only getting frustrated when you moved on to the bloodstained cups. You, somehow, managed to clean the blood off and moved on to the rest of the dishes, finishing them fairly fast.

Once the kitchen was properly cleaned, you made sure the windows were shut properly before leaving. You walked around aimlessly, double and triple checking that the windows were shut tight. After making sure of that, you headed up the stairs in search of the opera hall, a faint smile on your features.

The moment you found the opera hall, you froze in place, music reaching your ears — your hand hovering over the door handle. You stared at the door in astonishment, smiling wider as the song continued until a soft voice next to you snapped you out of your trance.

"You should get back to work," The maiden whispered, stopping slightly behind you. "The ladies don't like it when we're not cleaning. If they catch you standing around..."

She didn't need to finish for you to understand, you simply giving her a nod of acknowledgment before watching her walk off. By the time she was gone, it was already too late. Your gaze had shifted back to the door only to find it wide open, crazed gold eyes locking with your [E/C] ones and freezing you in place once more.

"Slacking off on your first day?" Bela cooed, leaning towards you — to which you immediately took a step back.

"I-I... I'm sorry, lady Bela it's just... were you the one playing?"

She seemed caught off guard by the question, as if she hadn't expected anyone to guess that. Her eyes narrowed after a moment and flies started to fly off of her, a few of them landing on you and biting you. A quiet yelp left you as more flies left her, causing you to take off running, her giggling filling the air as well as the resounding buzzing and chittering of the flies.

You made it to the bottom of the steps before she pounced, pinning you beneath her — a sickle in her hand. She raised her sickle but before she could slice you or embed it into your flesh, her head snapped in a direction — her quickly disappearing in a swarm in the direction she had looked.

What the fuck was that about?! Next time I guess I'll just tell her her playing is shit instead of trying to compliment her.

You internally grumbled as you pushed yourself to your feet, noticing the other maidens rushing to the kitchen. A soft sigh passed your brims as you realized you'd have to clean the kitchen again soon, leaving you little time to start on the opera hall. Still, you found yourself heading back up the stairs and to the hall, hesitating slightly when your hand hovered over the door handle.

"I can do this..." You whispered to yourself, cautiously opening the door. "I can do this."

With a deep breath, you entered the opera hall, your gaze landing on the piano immediately. A faint smile tugged on your lips as you stared at the instrument, your heart aching as a memory came rushing back to you.

"Daddy!" You called out, walking around the giant castle he had brought you to.

He had said he needed to speak with a fellow vampire and told you to wait in the lounge for him but, you decided to wander off. You eventually found yourself in a music room, immediately drawn to the piano at the center. The gold and chocolate brown walls were welcoming, your little legs pulling you closer to the black instrument.

"[Y/N]?!" Basil called out, worry lacing his voice.

You didn't care at that point, climbing onto the bench and lifting the fall-board before pressing down on a key. The door to the room swung open and you jumped, [E/C] eyes landing on milky white orbs, a relieved sigh leaving Basil as he noticed your scent being stronger.

"Here you are..." He breathed out, slowly making his way into the room. "I thought I told you to stay in the lounge. You could've got hurt."

"I'm sorry, daddy..." You whimpered, tears pricking your eyes at how disappointed he sounded. "The maids said there was a music room! I wanted to find it!"

He picked you up with ease, forcing your head to rest on his shoulder. "Of course they did..."

Basil sat on the bench quietly, soon turning you around and setting you in his lap, placing his hands on the keys. "Well, since you wanted to be in here so bad, I suppose I can play something for you."

A bright smile took over your features as you leaned against him, watching his fingers slowly press down on keys, the soothing sound filling the room. You kept your gaze on his hands, leaning forward and placing yours on top of his.

"Will I learn to play this some day?"

"If you want to, I'd love to teach you."

You were snapped out of the memory when a fly bit you, causing you to turn and come face-to-face with the three daughters. Your eyes widened slightly when you noticed you were sat at the piano, quickly moving to stand and bow to your ladies.

"I-I can explain, m-my ladies!" You stuttered out, cursing yourself for doing so.

"You can explain, after your punishment." Daniela giggled and your blood ran cold, gloved hands grabbing your wrists.

———————
the song in this chapter is the song basil plays for y/n