Chapter 35

"You'll catch flies if you don't shut your mouth."

"Miranda," Basil growled soon after, the grip on his cane turning his knuckles white.

"Basil," Miranda sighed as she sent him a glare. "You couldn't have waited until tomorrow?"

"She's my daughter; I was going to be here as soon as possible. I figured if anyone would understand that, it'd be you."

Miranda rolled her eyes before turning her attention back to you, a faint smile on the corner of her lips. You flinched slightly when her claws scraped over your cheeks, a soft whimper managing to escape you.

"I came here to thank her," Miranda mused after a moment of silence, her thumb brushing over your cheek slowly. "For waking up, keeping her promises, and ensuring I got my daughter back. Plus extra."

"E-extra?" You fumbled out as confusion spread across your face.

"Let's just say; the vessel's mother is still around."

"She is?" Lady Dimitrescu's shock was clear in her voice and it took everything in you to not giggle.

"Indeed. She's currently watching over Eva. Do you have a problem with that, Alcina?"

"Not at all, mother Miranda. I just... Didn't expect you to keep her around."

"And I didn't expect you to keep her around," Miranda laughed and gripped your face tight enough to draw blood. "Is it her blood?"

The air grew thick with tension as a yelp of pain slipped out of you. You knew Miranda wouldn't push it too far, but you didn't expect her to actually draw blood. Basil was the first to react — albeit sloppily without your guidance — and you watched as his cane swung for Miranda's head. Before it could connect, a whirlwind of crow feathers engulfed Miranda. She was behind you when the feathers fell — letting you know that she was a lot faster than she seemed.

"Oh calm down, you damned blind bat," Miranda growled as she wiped away some of your blood. "It was just a test. And, as you can see, she's alive and well. So, you can leave this castle."

"Shouldn't you leave too?" Basil grumbled back.

"I will after you leave. There are some things I need to discuss with Alcina."

Basil grumbled again before grabbing you and pulling you away from Miranda — who growled at him but turned her attention to lady Dimitrescu. You followed your father into the hall and once the door behind you shut, you engulfed him in a hug. Tears fell freely from your eyes and soaked his shirt, the relief of seeing him again and knowing everyone was alive finally overwhelmed you.

You never thought you'd be able to save lives — stealing from the rich and giving to the poor can only go so far. By the time you managed to calm down, he slowly pulled away from you and wiped away your tears, allowing you to lean into his touch for once in a very long time.

"I missed you, baby girl."

"I missed you too, dad," You muttered — your throat feeling raw as if you weren't finished letting out your emotions. "Did Miranda tell you what caused it?"

"She did," Basil sighed. "That's why I'm leaving—."

"WHAT?!"

"Let me finish, princess," Basil laughed before pressing a kiss to your forehead. "I'm leaving to speak with the council."

"I think my initial reaction still stands."

"There's a new council — none of the elders are on it anymore. The chances of you being allowed to join our ranks — to become a full-fledged vampire — are a lot higher now than you might think."

"And why do you say that?"

"Because everyone running the council now, is a lot like you. They were half-vampire once, they'll understand."

"...I hope you're right," You sighed as he pulled away from you and his cold touch left you. "How long will you be gone?"

"A week at most," Basil hummed as he began walking to the main hall. "But when I get back, we'll spend a whole day together."

"Can we get ice cream?"

"We can do whatever you want."

You brightened at that and gave him a final hug before letting him leave. Once he was gone, you silently made your way back to the kitchen — managing to catch part of Miranda and lady Dimitrescu's conversation.

"You kept Mia?"

"After Ethan died, she said she didn't want to go back to that house," Miranda's amusement was laced in her voice and you could already imagine the grin on her face. "Then I reminded her of the times we shared."

"What times?"

"Alcina, some things are better left unsaid."

You entered the kitchen after that — having heard that a few times growing up, you knew it was never something you wanted elaboration on. The gazes of the two mothers landed on you and you felt very small at that moment; as if at any moment, they could pounce on you — and deep down, you knew that was still something that could happen. Lady Dimitrescu was a predator and crows were scavengers. Both wouldn't hesitate if given the opportunity.

"...Hi..." You squeaked and embarrassment flooded your system once the amusement in their eyes grew more prominent. "...D-dad... Uhm... H-he left."

"You're stuttering an awful lot," Lady Dimitrescu mused as her eyes trailed over your body. Once. Twice. Five times before locking with yours and glowing with hunger. "Is something wrong?"

'Yeah, but I need a cold bath to ignore it.'

"Just... Uhm..." You trailed, beginning to back into the wall when Miranda made her way over to you. "He's going to see if I can be turned into a vampire — a full one — and I don't know how to feel... He says the council is a new one, but I'm not sure about that."

"That's all?" Miranda chuckled when she stopped in front of you. "I'm just glad it wasn't any lewd thoughts."

"N-never!"

Miranda leaned in next to your ear and your heart stopped at her words. "Good, because I'd know about the entire fantasy, and that'd be awkward, wouldn't it?"

You nodded mindlessly and knew you were fucked. Of course she'd be able to read thoughts, it's how she's able to know when people are praying. You swallowed the lump in your throat when she locked eyes with you, the dangerous gleam in her eyes fading soon after she pulled away from you.

"I must be going," She said loud enough for lady Dimitrescu to hear. "I have some business with Mia to attend to. Enjoy your maid, Alcina."

With that, she disappeared in the whirlwind of feathers, this time leaving you alone with lady Dimitrescu. After the lady realized it was just the two of you again, she walked over and picked you up with ease, setting you on the counter shortly after. She gripped your chin and tilted your head up, forcing you to lock eyes with her. Her eyes held that same hunger as before, but before you could ask if she wanted some of your blood, four words you never thought would leave her, managed to reach your ears and shut your brain down.

"May I kiss you?"