Chapter 27

'Can I really forgive him for not telling me all of this sooner? My entire life he's kept this from me... I don't know if I can right now.'

"Kiddo?" Basil's voice was weak, faltering over the simple nickname he called you your entire life. "Just... Just say the word and I'll leave."

You remained silent yet again, your gaze simply staying on his form. He seemed to shrink in on himself when you didn't speak, his milky eyes glossing over before a tear slid down his cheek. The door opened and your gaze tore from him only to land on lady Dimitrescu entering the room. You remembered how the girls reacted when she had turned you down and how much their anger towards her hurt them all. Even though you knew you could never hate Basil, you weren't sure if you could forgive him for keeping the truth from you.

The sound of footsteps drew your attention to Basil, a frown quickly appearing on your face as you realized he was going to leave. Before you could get up to stop him, he was gone and your heart shattered. You stumbled towards the door, only being stopped by lady Dimitrescu when tears started to fall and you nearly tripped. A sharp pain was felt in your chest as you buried your face against her body, knowing you should've said something at the very least.

"We'll call him in the morning and let him know you were drunk." Lady Dimitrescu promised, her voice soft as she lifted you.

"I couldn't... I didn't know how..." You fumbled over your words, clinging desperately to her dress as she sat on your bed.

"It's a lot to take in, of course you didn't know how to respond."

"I can't..."

"I'm sure he knows you could never hate him but, either way, you can tell him tomorrow."

You nodded and the two of you stayed like that until you calmed down, pulling back slightly to wipe the remaining tears from your cheeks. Lady Dimitrescu's grip on you tightened when you tried to move off of her lap, earning a soft whine from you before you looked up and locked eyes with her. Concern swirled in her gold eyes, causing your heart to skip a beat.