Chapter 19

"How long do you want me to stay this time?"

"I don't know, dad... I don't know anything anymore."

After an hour of processing everything and trying to convince Basil to leave, mainly trying to get him to leave, you left your room and walked through the halls, making your way to the opera hall to clean it. Upon reaching the opera hall, Bela swarmed over to you with a concerned look on her face but before she could question you, you moved around her and started cleaning quietly.

As you cleaned, buzzing quickly made its way to you before a pair of arms wrapped around you, making you stop in place. A mess of red hair made its way to your line of sight and you let out a soft sigh.

"Lady Dan-."

"What have I said? You don't need to be so formal with me." Daniela grumbled, turning you around. "Now, let me hug you."

You sighed quietly and returned the hug, burying your face in her shoulder. When she decided to pull away, you went back to cleaning, ignoring her and her sisters. You had always been told to not fall in love - that love hurts - and for the longest time, you managed to listen to that and not fall in love but, all good things must come to an end.

"I'm sorry." Daniela whispered, making you glance over at her. "I didn't think she'd reject you - none of us did... That's the only reason-."

"Lady Daniela, rejection is a part of loving. I'm fine now, I just wasn't expecting what she had said to me and that's the only reason I was upset. Comparing me to a man-thing..."

"But-... That doesn't mean we feel better. We pressured you into telling her because we thought she liked you too - she acts so different around you that we just... we thought..."

"It's fine, lady Daniela. I'd rather her reject me than to die some day and never having had the chance to tell her my feelings."

The three shared a look and nodded solemnly, swarming out of the opera hall and allowing me to clean in peace. Once everything was clean, you made your way to the kitchen and made yourself something to eat, a yawn leaving you as you glanced at the time. You frowned at how late it was, eating your sandwich and staring out of the window.

You glanced at the entrance of the kitchen when you heard heels clicking, raising an eyebrow before bowing to lady Dimitrescu when she entered. She stared at you quietly as you began washing the plate you used, an awkward silence in the air. When you dried the plate and put it up, she cleared her throat and caught your attention.

"My daughters told me I should apologize to you - for the things I said." Lady Dimitrescu stated, making you tilt your head.

"You shouldn't apologize unless you actually mean it, my lady. It wouldn't mean anything otherwise."

She opened her mouth to speak again before shutting it again and nodded. You bowed to her again and attempted to leave, only to have her stop you. She knelt down and placed a gloved hand near your head hesitantly, moving it away when you didn't lean into it like you normally did. 

"I do actually want to apologize - I didn't mean to be that harsh. But I do ask that you get over these feelings, I won't be able to return your feelings."

"That's fine," You stated, glancing away from her. "I will in time, I just hope the girls don't keep blaming themselves."

"They're blaming themselves?"

"Because it was their idea for me to write that note and give it to you. So you rejecting me hurt them too - they said that you act differently with me, that's why they told me to do it. They thought that you liked me as well."

Lady Dimitrescu let out a hum and stood once more, ducking out of the kitchen shortly after. You walked out as well, muttering a soft 'goodnight' to her before making your way back to your room. Upon entering your room, your world went black, a quiet chuckle filling your ears in the process.

A door creaked open to reveal Basil with a sad smile on his face. You raised an eyebrow before a coughing fit racked your body, making his smile fall as he rushed over to you. His cold hand pressed against your forehead and a worried sigh left him, milky gold eyes scanning your face as your coughing stopped.

"I didn't want to have to do this but... You might die if I don't. I'll be right back with something for you to drink."

"Daddy... Don't go." You whined out, voice much younger and raspier due to your cough.

"I won't be long and the cabin is protected, just stay in bed, okay?"

"Okay." You pouted, watching him stand and leave the room.

A little while later, he returned with a cup of a liquid, helping you sit up. A coppery smell reached your nose, making it scrunch up the closer he moved it to your mouth. You let out a soft whine and buried your face against him, squeezing your eyes shut.

"I know it smells bad, but you need to drink it." He muttered, making you move your head.

"Smells like blood..." You pouted, drinking the liquid anyway.

"It will make you feel better, I promise."

After you had drank the liquid, he laid you down again and tucked you in, pressing a kiss to your forehead. You weakly smiled up at him before letting your eyes shut, feeling your body slowly regaining its strength.

Your eyes fluttered open to bright lights above you, a low groan leaving you as you tried to lift an arm to shield your eyes from the intense light. That's when you realized you were strapped to a metal table, a low groan passing your lips. Soft footsteps reached your ears and you turned your head slightly in an attempt to see who was walking your way.

"Ah, I see you're awake."

"Where the hell am I and who the fuck are you?"