Chapter 39

"Y-yeah! This was sooner than I expected but at the same time, I've been waiting for this for so long. Yes, I'll go on a date with you, Alcina."

Alcina chuckled at your response and picked up her phone to make a call, leaving you to handle your excitement in silence. You thought about running off to Isa and the girls and telling them everything, but you ultimately decided against it. They deserved time together, and you knew you'd be able to tell them all about it in a few days.

The grip on you suddenly tightened and your gaze shifted to Alcina's reflection. Her eyes were narrowed and her jaw was clenched, making you wonder what was happening. She took a deep breath and said something in Romanian — something the girls did when they didn't want you or Isa to know what they were saying.

'I wonder if it's a learned trait...' You thought to yourself as you began tracing circles on the back of her hand. 'And I wonder what she's hiding from me. She looks so upset over whatever she's talking about.'

The call ended and after she hung up, Alcina let out a long sigh. You turned in her lap and wrapped your arms around her neck, trying to push away the ache in your chest when she tensed up. This was new for her — for the both of you — so you didn't want to get too offended right now. She eventually relaxed and returned the gesture, her body relaxing a bit until you pulled away.

You noticed the small pout on her face when you pulled away, but it was gone almost as soon as you saw it. It filled you with pride to know that she wanted you to keep holding her, but at the same time, you wanted to know more. You placed your hands on her cheeks and sent her a warm smile before pressing a kiss on the tip of her nose, your heart fluttering at her smile as a response.

"Mother Miranda lost contact with Basil," Alcina stated after a moment of hesitation, causing you to freeze. "She's sending people to look for him, but I thought you should know."

You stayed silent for a long time, simply staring into the mini suns she called eyes to keep yourself stable. "I see... Thank you for telling me..."

"Do you want to go on a walk to calm yourself?"

"Can we go outside?"

"Anything you want."

A few minutes later and you were outside with Alcina, the two of you walking in silence as a cold breeze blew. You hugged yourself to keep warm, your gaze glued to the ground in the process. It was taking a lot for you to not freak out — to not run off and try to find him — but you knew Miranda had her ways. If she wanted something, she'd find a way to get it.

Alcina picked you up suddenly and snapped you out of your thoughts. Your gaze shifted to her face and you weren't sure if you should be turned on or terrified. Her jaw was clenched, eyes narrowed, and you could see her eyes shift slightly as if following someone's — or something's — movement. You brought a hand up to her cheek, taking a deep breath when she didn't bother breaking her gaze from whatever had her attention.

"Alci—,"

"I hate to cut this short," Alcina's voice had dropped an octave and you nearly moaned at the sound coupled with being able to see her fangs as she spoke. "But we need to head inside. Now."

"Okay," You breathed out and buried your face in her neck. 'Damn you for being so hot.'

Alcina carried you inside while keeping her eyes on the spot she was looking at for as long as possible, making you even more curious about what was happening. Once the two of you were inside and the door was shut, a swarm of flies made its way toward you and the worried voices of her daughters filled the air as well.

"Mother!"

"There are other vampires!"

"We can't go out there and fight them, it's too cold!"

"What do we do?!"

"Girls," Alcina started softly and watched her daughters' swarms turn into their human forms. "I will handle this. You three just take [Y/N] to Isa and stay with them. I'll be fine, I promise."

"Now, wait a damn minute!" You exclaimed when she handed you to Bela.

"[Y/N]... Trust me."

"...You better come back unharmed or you'll never hear the end of this."

The last thing you heard before your world was engulfed in buzzing was Alcina's chuckle. You knew she knew you'd keep your word, but it also drove you mad that she was going to do this on her own. When your world stopped moving and you were set next to a sleeping Isa, you sent the girls a confused look. They had taken a short nap earlier, but you were confused as to how they got them to sleep again.

"I promised them sex," Cassandra shrugged as if she read your mind. "They'll do anything just for us to smile in their direction."

"You bribed them with sex..."

"...Just to get them to sleep?"

"And I'd do it again."

"You four have the weirdest relationship... But it's cute," You hummed and turned your attention back to Isa. "I just wish they'd stop overworking themself."

"We do too," The girls sighed in unison and you had to stifle a laugh at Isa's frown at the sound.

"Looks like they didn't like that. Such a people pleaser."

The time flew by and before you knew it, hours had passed since you last saw Alcina. It worried you and her daughters, so you offered to go investigate — to which Isa had objected but their offer was shot down faster than yours. You eventually got them to agree — after promising to run back if it was dangerous and to bring a weapon with you.

After you had received a weapon, you were escorted to the door and reminded of the deal. You gave all four of them hugs before waiting for them to leave, a low sigh leaving you as you opened the door and left. The cold wind nipped at your skin as you pushed away from the castle, heading in the direction Alcina had been looking. When you arrived, there wasn't a sign of anyone — not even Alcina — and that made your anxiety spike.

"Well, well, well... What do we have here? A little half-blood looking for a... oh, how tall is she? Nevertheless, you're looking for the tall one, right?" A voice came from behind you and you immediately whirled around.

Time stopped when you saw who was before you, a nervous squeak leaving you before you could speak. "Sorana... What are you doing here?"