Chapter 42

"It's perfect! Thank you, lady Beneviento. You really outdid yourself this time! I bet Alcina will love how I look in this."

"I certainly do."

You let out a shocked squeal before whipping around to face her, ignoring the way your heart decided to start racing. A smile spread across your features and you had to tilt your head down to make sure she didn't see it. Alcina wasn't the biggest fan of that, considering the fact that she immediately placed a finger under your chin and tilted your head up.

Her eyes glowed under the darkness of her hat, only managing to make your heart skip a beat. You were hooked from the beginning, but this moment — that seemed frozen in time — plunged you deeper into the bottomless pit that some people called 'love'. It had always been a trap. One you managed to avoid and escape on multiple occasions. That was before you met Alcina.

Alcina's trap was different. It was meticulously thought out and executed. You had nowhere to go if you wanted to leave, yet you thanked yourself for not having the urge to do it. She had you trapped between her claws, and you both loved it.

"You look... Ravishing," Alcina hummed, her fangs poking out briefly when she smiled.

"I was going to say the same," You muttered before composing yourself. "But that wouldn't do you any justice...I don't think words can describe just how stunning you look."

"Always the smooth talker."

"You've always loved it."

"Admired it."

"Same difference," You shrugged and thanked Donna once more. "So, when do we leave?"

"Now will do," Alcina hummed and let you take her hand. "The sooner we leave, the less of a fuss the girls will make."

"Fair point. Let's go."

Alcina chuckled as she led you out of the room, not mentioning how rapidly your heart was beating despite you knowing that she could hear it. It wasn't long before the triplets found you, and even sooner after that, they were pleading with their mother to not leave the castle. Mentioning that she'd be leaving with you only made the situation worse.

You were secretly ecstatic that Isa showed up and "accidentally" forgot to change into their uniform. It distracted the girls and allowed you and Alcina to get out without any other issues. As the two of you walked, you noticed how on edge Alcina seemed to be, and you had to remind yourself that she had been taken by someone — well, a group of someone's but that's not the point.

"Alci..." You called out to her, frowning slightly when she tensed up. "Do you want to take a small break? Double-check our surroundings...?"

"So you've noticed?"

"Hard not to when you've spent as much time around you as I have."

"...A break would be nice," Alcina sighed as she finally let go of some tension. "As long as it's not too long. I don't want to—."

"Your comfort and happiness are far more important than a date we can have at any point we'd like."

Alcina stopped and knelt down, causing you to move closer to her and tilt your head. She planted a kiss on your cheek — tender and cold — that caused your face to heat up from the affection. It wasn't that you weren't used to it by now, it was the fact that she didn't hesitate this time. Normally, she'd make sure no one was around before showing you any sign of affection, but now that you were alone — away from maids that would stupidly try to use you against her.

You could take care of yourself, you knew that and so did she. You also knew that if it got serious, there was always Isa. And as a last resort, the Dimitrescu family themselves. Things rarely got so out of hand that you needed to get Isa, so needing the Dimitrescu family to step in hadn't ever happened. Yet, the precaution was always there.

"You're cute when you're flustered."

"Because my heart races even though I'm trying to look calm?"

"No," Alcina mused with a teasing smile. "Because you're quiet."

"I will sue you for emotional damage," You grumbled as you fought back a smile. "Now, what exactly do you have planned?"

"Just a nice picnic. Maybe discuss what that council of yours suggested."

Your head tilted in confusion and for once, you willingly tried to remember what happened. Encounters with the council were always locked away in a place in your mind you chose to never go. Now that Alcina was referencing something from when you were around them, you tried your best to get an answer quickly.

With a small pout of concentration, you dug through your memories faster before noticing something stick out. Something she could potentially want to discuss. Marriage. There were two ways this could go, and honestly? You were fine with either.

"I believe that in order to be recognized as part of your covenant, you need to marry a noble vampire... I heard that correct, right?"

"...You did."

"Does that come with immortality for you?"

"It does."

"Which would be great for business..."

You knew what that meant. It was a business proposal. If you accepted, the two of you would become legally married and you'd get the benefits from the covenant. It also meant that the deal didn't affect your relationship with her. Although legally you'd be married, you knew Alcina wasn't at that point where she could say her emotions would also be in the marriage.

The deal was perfect. Legally marry Alcina, get recognized by the covenant so they stop being a problem, and with your future immortality, you get to spend eternity with Alcina and the triplets. You would be a fool to not take the deal. But you needed her to verbally propose the deal.

"I have a proposal for you."

"I'm all ears," You smiled, ignoring the butterflies in your stomach when she returned the smile.

"You having immortality would mean we can take this at a pace suitable for the both of us, and the girls wouldn't freak out as much whenever we leave the castle. Not to mention, it would get them off of our backs..."

"Lady Alcina Dimitrescu, are you asking me to marry you?" You gasped dramatically, the both of you bursting into laughter shortly after.

"Do we have a deal?"

"I'd be a fool to decline such a deal, my dove."