Chapter 13

"It's just... your gold eyes... I thought.."

Gold eyes?

"I don't have gold eyes." You hissed, grabbing her by the collar of her uniform. "My eyes are [E/C]. Always have been, always will be. Understand?"

She nodded quickly, resulting in you shoving her away and storming off to the dining room. You took a few deep breaths before entering the room, standing against the wall as other maids brought in food and wine for the ladies. As they conversed, your gaze had shifted to lady Dimitrescu, watching as she elegantly ate. Whenever she'd take a sip of wine, she'd swirl the drink in her crimson glass before taking a sip.

You weren't sure how long you were staring at her but it was long enough for her to notice, her eyes flickering to yours for a split second. That made you drop your gaze in a heartbeat, face heating up as you took in deep breaths to calm your racing heart.

Shit. How long was I staring?! Why couldn't I look away?! I've seen plenty of attractive women before but she's the only one I haven't been able to keep my eyes off of. Except for when I was playing and cleaning. But even then, I kept thinking about her...

What is this temptress doing to me?

After the ladies finished eating, you followed lady Dimitrescu to her study, nervously fiddling with the apron of your uniform. Once inside the study, your lady turned to face you, gaze narrowed at your smaller form.

"Before I tell you what I have to offer," She said, making her way to her chair. "Might I ask what was so intriguing about me in the dining room?"

You froze at her question, noticing the smirk slowly tug at the corner of her lips. She knew what was so intriguing, she just wanted you to say it. With a deep breath, you swallowed your nerves and put on a charming smile, tilting your head as you spoke.

"Why, you of course, dove. Everything about you." You chirped, watching an expression of shock take over her face. "From your captivating golden eyes to your crimson lips and pale skin. You are eternal, my lady, who wouldn't be mesmerized by your beauty?"

Her shock soon faded away as she cleared her throat to regain her composure, crossing one leg over the other gracefully before speaking.

"You have quite a way with words, I must say. Now, on to my proposal — I heard what you said to my daughters in the cellar. About humans. I could also sense your hatred from here when you spoke of them. It's obvious you need a position that grants you the least interaction with the other humans in the castle."

Is she saying what I think she's saying?

"And wouldn't you know, the position for my grand chambermaid was opened up. So, what do you say, pet?"

"I'd say it'd be stupid of me to ask why that position opened up," You muttered, earning a chuckle from the lady. "Then I'd say I'd gladly accept. Away from humans and around you? How could I pass that opportunity up?"

"There you go with that silver tongue of yours." Lady Dimitrescu chuckled out, motioning you towards her.

You immediately sauntered over to her, locking eyes with her once you stopped moving. Her hand moved to your neck, gloved fingers brushing over the smooth flesh. You didn't shudder or flinch like you assume other maids had.

"Hmm. Did your father ever drink from you?"

"No." You stated immediately, offended that she would even think that. "He'd have these splurges where he'd go out and find some man that fell in love with him."

"You don't need to finish that story, I have a feeling I know where it leads."

You chuckled quietly at her groan and eye roll, holding in a soft whine when she removed her hand from your neck. The pressure had felt oddly comforting, despite the fact that she could very easily kill you in that moment.

"In that case, you'll start tomorrow." She went on to give you the list of things she expected from you, reassuring you that you'd have a paper with a list on it before you retire to bed that night.

"That was a lot," You murmured with a chuckle, shaking your head. "But I'm a fast learner, I'll be fine."

"Good. Now go eat, we don't need you starving to death. You might be the only competent maid here."

"That's because I wasn't raised by humans, dove." You winked before leaving the room, not wanting to face her wrath if she decided to get angry at your actions.

You waltzed through the halls, nearly reaching the kitchen before a crash was heard to your right followed by the maniacal laughter of one of the ladies. Your gaze lazily drifted to the door that the commotion came from, watching as it was flung open and a maid scurried out, narrowly avoiding another slash from Cassandra. When your gaze met the vampire's, you knew what she wanted.

She wanted you to help her catch her prey. And help her you did. When the maid started running passed you, you stuck your leg out and tripped her, giving Cassandra ample time to swarm over to her.

"It's impolite to run from your lady." You stated with a charming smile, taking pleasure in the fear in the maiden's eyes.

I shouldn't be enjoying this. I may loathe humans but, shouldn't I feel some remorse?

"What did mother want with you?" Cassandra asked before biting the maid's neck, giggling at her screams of pain.

"I'm to be her grand chambermaid starting tomorrow, lady Cassandra."

That made her remove her fangs and snap her head towards you, a hum leaving her as flies started to surround you. Bela and Daniela soon stepped out of their swarms, glancing between you and their sister in confusion.

"What's going on here?" They asked in unison, grinning once they noticed the maid.

"[Y/N] is mother's newest grand chambermaid." Cassandra stated casually, getting off of the maiden. "And helped me with catching prey."

Why did she say it like that?

"As if." Daniela scoffed, narrowing her eyes at her older sister. "If she was going to help any of us, it'd be me."

"No it wouldn't!" Bela and Cassandra yelled in unison.

You let out a low sigh before turning on your heel and heading to the kitchen, making yourself something to eat. As you busied yourself, a crow cawed from outside of the window, gaining your attention.

"What do you want?" You hummed in amusement, smiling at the bird. "Cute little thing, aren't ya?"