Chapter 8 - The Button in the Jewelry Box

Chapter 8 - Also Titled, 'The Amount of Times That I've Spelt Jewelry Wrong is Sad for an Honors Kid and Just Me in General lol'
Warnings: Slight anxiety
A/N, this was the only song I could think of, sorry. I know it doesn't go together really well
Third Person POV

Ducky, as they were called by their friends, climbed up the ladder to the attic of their house.

They held a flashlight in one hand, their phone in another, and a cloth in the third hand.

They didn't know why they were carrying a cloth, but a family member had told them to bring one.

Ducky sat on the attic floor when they got up there, resting the flashlight on a box so it was shining at the other side of the room as their only source of light.

Ducky looked around the attic.

This stuff looks very... old.

Ducky shrugged to themself.

Almost immediately after touching something, Ducky looked at their finger.

And that's why I need the cloth. Ducky chuckled to themself. Because it's very dusty up here.

Ducky looked around the attic again. Has anyone been up here- and cleaned- in a few years?

Ducky sighed deeply, inhaling dust.

Ducky started coughing violently, their hand over their chest.

After a few minutes, the coughing subsided.

Jeez, Ducky scoffed quietly. Someone really needs to take better care of this attic.

Ducky pulled a box closer to themself, starting to open it.

Once they opened the box, they started looking through it.

The inside of the box was no less dusty than the outside of it, Ducky found that out quickly.

Ducky picked up what looked like a jewelry box that was hidden beneath the tons of Prince albums in the box.

They wiped the dust off of the top of the jewelry box.

This is pretty...

Ducky opened the jewelry box, flipping a gold latch up.

Inside, there were a few necklaces, but mainly, lots of earrings.

One thing under all of that caught their eye.

A brown and gold button.

As soon as Ducky picked it up, a cold wind blew over them and they were no longer in the attic.

Ducky's eyes widened when they found themself sitting in a chair in a room with lots of bunk beds, wearing a gray flannel, gray suspenders, and brown pants.

Ducky looked up, their eyes wide as they locked eyes with a blue-eyed and brown-haired Newsie.

Where am I?

448 Words
When alternating pronouns (ex: they and she), I feel bad, like I'm misgendering someone and it's usually just by typing she instead of they.
Help please.

Anyway, sadly, that's the last chapter for today (: