Chapter 4

Like Damien told me the day of the interview he is busy, and he meant it. He has been in a Skype conference for hours talking about a company they are trying to improve before selling it, with some other business associates.

Don't these people sleep?

It's 10:00 pm and everyone has left except for Damien and me. And like he told me that first day also, was that I didn't leave until he left.

So here I am at 10:00 pm taking notes for him on the major problems and achievements that are going over about the deal.

I try to stay awake so I don't miss anything, but after a while they just started rambling and I just keep dozing off, and eventually I end up falling asleep.

"April?"

"Mmmh, "I groan. Who the hell is trying to wake me from my damn dream?

"Aaaapril?" and now the person is shaking me shaking.

"April wake up."

"What! Oh... um, Mr. Ward I'm so sorry I must have dozed off."

"It's ok, you're fine. You didn't really miss anything when I looked over your notes."

When I look at my lap after he says that, I realize that my notes are gone.

"I didn't mean to keep you this long, I thought the meeting would have gone on shorter."

"It's ok, I knew what I was getting into when I accepted this job." I rub my eyes to try to wake myself up, and when I look up at him he's smiling at me.

"What?"

"Nothing. Let's get out of here."

After fixing up all my papers on my desk and shutting my computer and him doing the same, we both head for the elevator together.

Standing in the elevator with my boss is so awkward, not just because of the awkward silence but also because he makes me so nervous. And until we get outside nothing is said between us.

"April," he starts, "I will see you at work tomorrow. And we can start planning the business trip to Paris."

"Yes, sir." I then start walking home, but he stops me.

"April, are you walking home?" he asks walking toward me.

"Yeah, it's ok I only live a few blocks away. My car is being fixed cause Mark got into an accident last week, nothing serious though."

"It is far too dangerous for someone like you to be walking this late at night."

"Someone like me, what does that mean?"

"What I mean is, someone as beautiful as you walking this late at night is bound to attract unwanted attention. So please let me give you a ride home"

"No, no that wouldn't be appropriate, you're my boss."

"Think of it as a friend giving a friend a ride home."

"Oh so were friends now."

"I thought we've been best friends since childhood."

"Ha, ha. Ok then, thank you."

So we walk together to the garage to his car, which is a silver Infinity Q80.

Of course, he drives an expensive car.

"Oh, my address is-," I start when he gets into the car, but he quickly stops me.

"I know where you live April, remember."

"Right, of course, you do."

We drive in the same silence as when we were in the elevator and it's just as awkward. But since he is too busy looking at the road I have a chance to look at him more closely... ok, ok I'm just ogling him.

Oh, Lord, he's sexy.

But then I think he feels me staring at him because he looks in my direction and I quickly look away. But now he is staring at me as he has stopped at a red light.

I try to ignore it, concentrating on the light and trying to make it change with my, wish I had powers, but I'm not so lucky and nothing happens.

As hard as I try to ignore him staring at me, I eventually give up and look towards his direction, and he's just smiling at me. I give him an awkward smile back, then he turns his focus to the road as the light turns green again.

~

"Thanks for the ride," I tell Damien after he walks me to the door of my house.

"Your welcome, see you tomorrow."

When I get inside Mark is cuddling on the couch with a blond girl that I have never seen before, who I assume is another one of his flings.

"Hey April where have you been, I was about to call a search party."

"I was still at work," I respond joining them on the couch and grabbing the bowl of popcorn on the coffee table.

"Hi I'm April," I tell the girl.

"Kimberley," she responds.

"So have you guys fucked yet?" Mark probes.

"What! No! Why would you think that?"

"Because who is coming back from work this late at night unless they've been fucking."

"He had a meeting that was running late you A-hole."

"You know one day I'm going to get you to curse."

"And one day in going to get you to start a committed relationship," I retort, and we all start laugh.