Chapter 8

If Damien was still mad about my date with Javier tonight, then he was doing a good job of showing it. I was going out with Javier and there was nothing he would be able to do about it. I don't want to upset him, but he has no right to boss me around like that, even if he is my boss.

But he didn't show any sign that he was still upset. We actually finished the meeting earlier than intended, and after Damien took me sight seeing. He can be so nice when he's not being controlling.

After that, he took me to lunch at Tour d'Argent. Though we didn't talk about the incident, it was fine with me. I didn't want to ruin the mood, and besides, it wasn't up for discussion anyways.

~

When we got back to the hotel Damien immediately leaves to go make some phone calls. And I go sit in the couch trying to find out what I should do with the rest of my day.

I'm skipping through channels on the big flat screen, that took up most of the wall when there was a knock at the door.

I got up to open the door, I was confronted with a vase full of white roses.

"These are for a Miss Watters," the messenger said, handing me the roses. He also handed me a white box.

"Who are they from?" I asked him before he walked off.

"Don't know, the front desk just told me to send it to this room to Miss Watters," he said then walked off.

"Thanks."

I closed the door and went to the couch placing everything on the coffee table. Damien came back into the room, having finished his calls.

"Who was at the door," he asks.

"Just a messenger. He wanted to drop these off to me," I filled him in.

"Well, who are they from?"

"I don't know."

I search the flowers to see if there is a card, but there isn't any. I then go for the box and open it. And this time, there is a card. On top of the wrapping paper, is a plain white envelope. Written on it is simply, April in neat fancy cursive. I open it, to read the letter.

'April, I can't wait to see you again tonight. I got you white roses because they represent purity and new beginnings, and I'm hopeful that our beginning will be a pleasant one. What's in here is something I specifically picked out for you for tonight. I hope it's to your liking.

A bientôt
-Javier'

I move the wrapping paper to reveal a red silk dress. I'm so amazed that I'm speechless. I even forgot that Damien was here until he spoke up.

"Who are they from April?" he asks again.

"Just a friend," I said. Though I don't think I knew Javier well enough to call him a friend. But I was trying to be as vague as possible. Not that it worked, because Damien just grabbed the letter from me. He took a second to read it and then stared at me, then at the dress.

"No!" he simply said.

"Excuse me-"

"We don't date our clients," he cut me off.