28// Slow Motion

Diana

I just wished he would talk to me. Even yell. Some form of communication is better than none at all. But I had been completely closed off. Ever since the kiss on the yatch, Alejandro had done a commendable job of treating me like a virus he had to avoid at all costs. The last few days of the trip, he didn't even spend the nights in our hotel suite. I tried to convince myself for my own sanity that he had booked another room for himself and wasn't spending the nights with an exotic Cuban beauty. He was mad at me. That much I could tell. But it's like he was even more mad at himself. As soon as we boarded the jet on our way back, he occupied the seat furthest from mine. I had to watch from afar as the air hostess tried her hardest to seduce him. I felt a bit better seeing that he didn't pay her any attention whatsoever. I didn't even have it in me anymore to be angry. The sadness I felt weighed down heavily on my heart, making it almost impossible for me to feel any other emotion.

« Ladies and gentlemen, this is your pilot speaking. Please fasten your seatbelts, we'll be landing soon », the voice came over the intercom. I fastened my seatbelt and look out the window. The sky was a murky grey color and it had already started to drizzle. It was going to rain and quite heavily. Even the weather knew I was in a terrible mood. As soon as we landed, I grabbed my purse and quickly made my way out of the jet. There were two cars waiting for us at the landing strip. I thought nothing of it until I realized I was headed toward Paco and Alejandro was headed the other way. I stopped and the words spilled out before I could keep them in. « You're not coming? », my voice was strained, almost like I was scared of his answer. In all honesty I was.

He replied to some messages on his phone and didn't even spare me a glance, « I have some work to do at the office. I'll be home late. Don't wait up », and he got in the car.

I stared as the car sped away. Paco didn't rush me. He just let me have my moment. I snapped out of it and got in the car when I felt something wet against my cheek. It was the rain. Just the rain.

**********************

Alejandro

What the hell was I thinking?!. I tried to pull away. But as soon as I felt her lips against mine, I quickly threw caution to the wind. It's like I went back in time. To the first time I kissed her. I was one of those nights when she had successfully snuck out of the house. We got some food and drove to a secluded area at the mountains and had the most fun time on the back of my truck. We didn't want to risk anyone seeing her as it could quickly get back to her father. I felt terrible knowing I couldn't give her better, couldn't take her to a fancy restaurant and stuff like that. But she wasn't bothered. She was content watching the city lights and I was content watching her. Until is started to rain. I expected her to run into the truck but she just looked at me with the brightest smile ever. « I've never played in the rain before », I looked at her surprised and she shrugged. « My mom never let me. Said it was for the low life people. And my dad just screamed at me for being disobedient whenever I tried »

The first emotion I felt was pity. Pity that someone so amazing had been neglected by the people who were supposed to love her the most. That emotion was followed by admiration. Admiration that someone who has received barely any love still had so much to give the world. It was at that moment that I fell irrevocably in love with Diana Prichard. I always knew she was too good for me. Always knew I would never measure up to the numerous suitors at her doorstep. I couldn't buy her Swarovski diamonds, couldn't get her an island as a birthday gift, couldn't even dream of being within a fraction of her social circle. But here she was. With the scrawny kid who could only offer a cheap knock off gold plated bracelet. I knew without a doubt that she loved me too, but I guess I know better now.