29// Glowing

Alejandro

God she's perfect.

That's all I could think about as I stared at her. I was already pretty late for work but I couldn't bring myself to look away from her. It was almost 10 o'clock and she still hadn't shown any signs of waking up. I had pulled her close to me several times during the night for more sensuous lovemaking. I could imagine how exhausted she was. I was interrupted from my avid gazing by the shrill ringing of my phone. I swiftly answered the call before the noise could wake Diana up. I had a client waiting for me at the office so I unfortunately had to leave this haven. I pulled her arm off my torso and replaced my body with the pillow. She buried her nose into it and hugged it tight. I smiled. She had always been a cuddler. I made quick work of my shower and got dressed in record time. I grabbed my suit jacket and made my way out of the bathroom. Looking at the bed I now found Diana spread eagled on it. I moved closer and just observed her. She looked so much like the Diana I fell in love with but I had to remind myself that she was a different person now. Maybe she had always been that way and I just let my live for her blind me. Never again.

I hurried into the kitchen to get a quick bite before leaving and was met with Benjy, Paco and the other workers having breakfast. I was about to ask why Benjy wasn't at school but then I remembered their school premises was getting fumigated today. So he had the day off.

« Good morning Sir », Paco offered

« Good morning Paco. I hope the files are already in the car? », I asked

« Yes Sir. Just waiting on you and we're good to go », he then left with the other workers

I looked toward Benjy who was so immersed in his bowl of lucky charms he barely noticed me. « Good morning Benjy »

« Oh good morning Alejandro », he looked around for a bit, « Um, where's my momma? », he asked

« She's still in bed. She was very busy yesterday », of course busy with me.

« Oh. Okay », he said shyly

« So how's school? », I could see him beaming

« Oh it's great. I made some new friends and Ms Clarissa's very nice. She always gives me a star when I do really good. »

« Well I'm glad you're enjoying school. God knows I couldn't wait for it to be over », I chuckled. He giggled and then continued to munch on his cereal.

« Um Alejandro? », he asked tentatively

« Yes Benjy »

« Can I ask you for a favor? »

At this I turned. I didn't know what he wanted to ask of me but I was going to do my damned best to fulfill it. No matter how big or small. « Of course Benjamin. Anything »

« Please...please promise that you won't ever hurt my momma », he pleaded

I was taken aback, « Benjy I would never lay my hands on your mother. Why would you even think that? »

« That's what Daddy said but then he started to hit her. She always tried to make sure I wasn't there but I snuck in sometimes. Only because I was worried about her »

My face paled, « Your father hit your mother? », I asked in shock

« Yeah. Especially when she had Aunt Stelly or someone else over. And then sometimes, when he said I had been a bad boy and he had to punish me, momma wouldn't let him so he'd hit her instead », I heard quiet sniffling. I then realized Benjy had been silently crying. I pulled him close to my chest and hugged him tight. My heart ached for him. He was so young and had already witnessed so much trauma. No child deserved to go through this. If I ever laid eyes on Michael Thayers again, he was sure going to get it.