Scene 9 - Strange Arrival

Bill and Nardole have rematerialized back down at Cape Kennedy beside the TARDIS. The people tracking the spaceship turn around to see them. Bill holds the hat.

Solider:

Oh. You're back. Where's the rest of them?

Bill:

Still up there. Talking things through. Where was that other guy who came back earlier?

Soldier:

Ariel? Oh, he's away processing video footage of a creature that attacked him.

Nardole:

Well, the aliens up there seem actually quite friendly. Maybe that one attacked him in self-defence, knowing what the Commander might be up to.

Bill:

But Nardole, we didn't see it. It could all be made-up. I want to see this footage.

Solider:

I'm afraid I can't let you see it just yet. It is still being processed for use of show.

Nardole:

Really? How long does it take just to process a few seconds of video? Even for Earth's technology. But first Bill, let's take a look at what's all about with that hat.

Solider:

Is that the Commander's hat?

He had been ignored. Bill and Nardole enter into the TARDIS and then make for the console.

Bill:

Now, how do we scan this thing in the TARDIS?

Nardole:

Let's try the telepathic circuits.

They head over to the panel with the telepathic circuits.

Stick it in then.

Bill:

Err, alright.

Bill puts the front of the hat into the telepathic circuits, feeling a little uncomfortable about doing it. Nardole pulls the scanner around to read what is presented to them.

Nardole:

It's an Inducing Device. Aimed to reprogram thought patterns and insert an overall object that can be planted into somebody's head with this device over their head, channelling in the programmed instruction. The effects of this can still be worthy even when the device has lost contact with its target.

Bill:

Yeah, but the Commander is out cold. He should be fine when he comes round.

Nardole:

Hopefully. The origin of the device came from... somewhere in the depths of the universe?

Bill:

Well, that could be anywhere.

Nardole:

Precisely. Does it say what it has coded in for the Commander? As this was specifically designed for his use.

Bill:

As it's his hat?

Inexplicably, the TARDIS begins to materialize without any other button or device being activated. The time column begins lighting as the grey Gallifreyan symbols on the roof begin rotating around like clockwork, as the sound of the TARDIS commences.

Uh oh. Oh boy. What did we do?

Nardole:

Nothing. But it might be that the TARDIS wants us to go somewhere, and we're on our way this very moment.

Bill:

Somewhere in the depths of the universe?

The TARDIS begins to materialize against some black wall. Nardole is at the controls beginning to investigate where they have landed. He checks the secondary display/environmental monitor and space/time telegraph.

Nardole:

Looks like we're exactly as we said you were, Bill. Somewhere in the depths of the universe. But the TARDIS seems to think that she's been here before.

Bill:

Maybe she has.

Nardole:

What she's saying is that this place could be anytime, anywhere, every time and everywhere.

Bill:

Huh? You mean like... the location of this place keeps changing around, so it will eventually go anywhere in space?

Nardole:

Exactly that. Which means that I can't specifically pinpoint where, or when, we are.

Bill:

Didn't sound like you could. Can we go outside?

Nardole:

The atmosphere is safe outside, but all I can see on the scanner is blackness outside.

Bill:

Well, this is the place where that Inducer was sourced at. So, let's go out.

They leave, exiting the TARDIS to find themselves in a small black space around them. We see that there is a passage to the right of the TARDIS doors, shinning in some flashing lights faintly on the reflections of the walls. Assumedly, they head down the long, thin, and straight passage, remaining vigilant and cautious.

I feel like we might be about to walk into something here, Nardole. Like a tripwire or a trap door.

Nardole:

Have you ever heard the old saying would you come into my parlour, said the spider to the fly?

Bill:

I know exactly what you mean by that.

They finally reach the end of the passage and are revealed to the lair of CaptainThunderWho! For the moment, he is absent, but we see the control console and the chamber containing the hovering and imprisoned Maxwell Cathulu.

Maxwell:

Greetings, all! Welcome to the lair. Pleasure to meet you, at last.

Bill and Nardole turn to each other...