Scene 13 - Countdown

Panic and fear grow. The men are extremely panicked! The Twelfth Doctor's theme begins to play.

Osgood:

If this ship is destroyed, then it will destroy the planet. The dimensions of this ship are in balance with those of the planet!

CaptainThunderWho:

Brilliant! The destruction will inevitably set off a chain reaction of interplanetary wars against the Earth for the cold-blooded murder of the Quandraphil species, who will do nothing to save their own skins. The enforcers such as the Shadow Proclamation will wage war against the Earth and finally, it will be annihilated, as its people suffer a destructive and painful defeat.

Doctor:

Not when I can help it!

Commander:

Men! At arms!

They aim their loaded weapons at the Doctor, Kate, and Osgood. 150... 149... 148... Nardole breaks free, and with the hat hidden in his pockets, he quickly fiddles with the device without the Captain noticing him still. 141... 140... 139...

CaptainThunderWho:

NOW, NOTHING CAN ESCAPE MY WRATH!

Behind you sir!

Nardole has rushed to the control console, with the hat in his hand. Bill has freed herself too, as the Captain turns around to see Nardole.

CaptainThunderWho:

You fat cretin! Step away from those controls!

Nardole:

I have now fixed your little Inducer so the electric field is now electric! And because your entire copper console is metallic and highly conductible!

He drops the hat onto the console. DDDDDZZZZZ!!!!!! BAM! KABOOM! POW!

CaptainThunderWho:

NO!

KABOOM! KAPOW! KABANG! The Commander yells out and falls to the ground unconscious again. The Captain rushes to his console which lies on fire and electricity running through it. He winces and cries at it. Bill and Nardole rush away back to the TARDIS quickly. 122... 121... 120...

MY CONSOLE! MY PRECIOUS CONSOLE!

Doctor:

Now it seems that Bill and Nardole are escaping from your wrath, after all, CaptainThunderWho!

He is left to sulk and shout angrily.

CaptainThunderWho:

Argh! Maxwell, why did you not tell me they were escaping?

Maxwell:

Because I'll be the one who will conquer the universe, Captain. Not you.

The Commander lies unconscious on the ground. The soldiers stand around him.

Osgood:

Commander Montgomery! He must still have a link to the Inducer. And now it's broken...

Kate:

Men, this is an emergency. We all need to get out of this ship before it is destroyed. As of now, I'm in charge here.

99... 98... 97...

Doctor:

We need to teleport out of here. Why can't I think it?

Quandraphil:

We... we... we can't! The wave is... is...

Osgood:

The communications! Can't we jam it?

Doctor:

I can't. Not even with this.

He shows up the Sonic. 85... 84... 83...

Quandraphil:

You... you can. Back to... to where you... you first arrived. Head back there... and stop the count!

The Doctor sprints back in the direction they came! 74... 73... 72... We see the Doctor use the Sonic as a communicator whilst running, as we alternate shots from the TARDIS' communications panel. Nardole and Bill frantically operate the TARDIS controls.

Doctor:

Nardole, what's the situation in the TARDIS?

Nardole:

We're doing our best sir to get her back to where she was.

Bill:

You think that in a time machine we could land anywhere and anywhen we like, no matter if the events you've caused are now timelines.

Doctor:

Time doesn't work like that Bill. You summed it up pretty well yourself. We're all involved with this now. Just hope you can get back and stop the countdown before the next fifty-five seconds...

55... 54... 53... We are looking back at the stern faces of the Colonel and Ariel. They see the countdown continue – 50... 49... 48... The Doctor continues running and running and running. The TARDIS flies through the time vortex, shaking Bill and Nardole about erratically, as lights shine red, and steam pours from the TARDIS. The cloister bell rings!

Bill:

What's that gonging?

Nardole:

TARDIS cloister bells! It means the TARDIS is headed for imminent danger!

37... 36... 35... The Doctor continues running! Kate and Osgood look to each other, hoping the Doctor can stop the launch in time. They look at their watches... Thirty seconds left! The little green blobs hide and shiver terrified under covers such as rocks and plant life. 25... 24... 23... The Colonel and Ariel salute.

Colonel:

For America!

The Doctor arrives back at the area and thinks hard about returning, but nothing is happening.

Doctor:

Come on! Come on, you intelligent little people. You can do it! Just send me down!

The TARDIS continues spinning wildly in the time vortex. 15... 14... 13... The Doctor is teleported down! We see him arrive at Cape Kennedy again, as the TARDIS suddenly materializes quickly! 10... 9... 8...

Stop the count!

Colonel:

Never sir! These aliens are hostile! God speed America!

We zoom in on the countdown dramatically! 5... 4... 3... The Doctor activates the Sonic quickly over all the machinery and screens! KABOOM! POW! 2... 2. BANG! BOOM! KABANG! The countdown had stopped, and the instrument panels in Cape Kennedy lie in a mess with smoke pouring out of them. Some had been completely broken, and others had their screens shut down. Bill and Nardole rush out...

Bill:

Did we do it? Don't tell me we did it, didn't we?

Doctor:

Yes, Bill. Just in the nick of time.