moving out

I didn't know how long the two of us had been together or if anyone else noticed, but when I broke free from his embrace I looked through my small window. The sun was just setting, kissing the horizon in a variety of colors. Azriel's arms were still wrapped around me, secure and safe. I was leaning against him when I turned back and looked at him. His eyes studied me inquiringly, his eyes ran over my body as if he knew there was more hidden there.
'You should pack', he said softly, in a way that didn't destroy our little bubble of comfort. I sighed and leaned my head against his chest.

And I suddenly became aware that I was snuggled up to him, that I was sitting on his lap, and that his hand was running through my hair. Something deep inside me began to purr comfortably, warming me from the inside. It felt so good to be with him, to have him close to me, to know that he was there. I was so complete and happy with him, I could drop everything from me and he accepted it. He didn't wonder, he accepted me and all my facets, even though I had a few more in store. Azriel buried his face in my hair and for a moment it sounded like he was taking a deep breath and sighing. But I thought that I had probably imagined it.
'You should pack', he muttered again, still burying his face. I gave an approving hum, but we didn't move. I guess none of us really wanted to. But then I remembered where we were, what had happened, and what was ahead of us. There were far more important things to plan and do than sit around and enjoy each other's company.

Although this kind of company is actually very, very nice, my conscience called to me. And everything about him was so appealing. My conscience agreed. Groaning, I gently pushed myself away from his chest.
'But packing is so exhausting', I said annoyed and let my eyes wander through my room. It was untidy, most of my clothes were hanging over my chair, some pants were scattered on the floor. And that's how everyone had seen my room, an excellent, tidy room. Note the sarcasm. Azriel's hands stroked along my back, sending shivers down my spine. If we stayed in this position longer, my mind pictured completely different situations. I would have loved to beat myself up for it. My body was at the end of its rope after Keir had used it so brutally, and yet I felt hot at the thought of Azriel doing it. And that's when I realized it was time to pack up real quick. I got up from his lap, albeit with great difficulty, and withdrew from his seductive hands. God, they were going to be the death of me someday. I slowly set about picking things up off the floor, folding them neatly, and then stacking them on my bed. I got my bags out of the closet and began to pack them up one by one. Azriel had sprawled out on my bed, it was wide enough for his wings too, so his position looked quite comfortable, the way he half sat and half lay there while watching me. He seemed to be analyzing my every move, studying me and giving me looks that I had trouble interpreting when I jerked up briefly in pain.
When I got to my last drawer, I got a little hot. I looked down at the lingerie I usually saved for special clients, or wore to make me feel beautiful instead of putting on for men. And I had some, some very very good ones. I knew that all too well. But it was no use leaving them here, besides, it would look suspicious not to put anything in the case as long as I had been standing in front of the drawer now.
Well, I said in my mind, it's only Azriel. The attempt to find it funny failed. But I took it out and turned to the bed, where my bag was lying. I purposefully paid no attention to Azriel, but I could feel his eyes lingering on the scraps of fabric in my hand. I stuffed them way down in the bag and went into the bathroom to gather my utensils. There was no point in staying here, I knew that. I would come here only for the customers, so Keir would not suspect that I would no longer act here. When that too was finished, my bag packed and I was now looking at my empty room, I glanced around nervously. I didn't know what to make of the fact that I was now supposed to move in with the High Lord. I didn't want to disturb their peace or privacy, which is why I had felt uncomfortable the first time I visited. But it was no use. I still did not have enough money to buy a house in Velaris, let alone anywhere else. Still, I would have preferred to stay here, even if this room was shabby and old. I had thought of it as my little home, without much standard or prestige, it was rustic but at least a place I was familiar with, comfortable in. At least something, here in this damn place. I heard Azriel rustling behind me, it seemed like he was just getting up from bed, but I was still too busy searching all corners of the room again, making sure I had everything, and maybe to stall a bit and say goodbye. Yes it was only one room with one bathroom, but it had grown on me. But as I walked my third lap and Azriel's gaze slowly took on an amused but annoyed glint, I knew it was time. I turned to face him.
'Well then', I said, gesturing toward me and him and the room, hoping he understood that I was ready to leave. And he knew I was uncomfortable, too, which is why he took his time coming to me, taking note of everything again before swinging his strong arms around my body and looking me in the eye. And I could have sworn I saw a hint of a twinkle in his eyes just as we disappeared into the shadows.
                       ▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎
Did I mention that I hated it when Azriel transported us through the shadows? No? Well, I hated it. It felt icky, incredibly cold and weird, like a dark feeling, like someone was chasing you and you had to keep looking behind you. That's how it felt every time he took me. Just eerie. So when we showed up at the wind house, not the town house I noticed, I clung to him like my life depended on it. And when I realized that everyone else there was already waiting and giving me amused looks, even if they turned somber as they fell on my wounds, I quickly let go of Azriel. I tightened my arms around my sweater and tugged at my pants. Everyone here looked so, well classy, despite wearing the same thing I was. Their clothes were balanced, but seemed comfortable, yet elegant. They had a certain charm, that inner circle, to say it didn't intimidate me a little would be a lie. I cleared my throat and gave Nesta a small grin. Her eyes sparkled back, the only thing I would get in response. But it was enough.
'Nice to have you back Jenna', Feyre said before plopping down on the sofa next to her. Rhysand stood by her side as always, I had never seen these two without each other. I smiled gratefully at them before I went to take my bag from Azriel. But he just held it out of my reach, while looking down at me, before walking away with my bag, as if it was no further, we as if all my valuables were not in there. His shadows followed him, even if a few tugged at my pants, as if I should follow him.
'Azriel?', I asked annoyed, 'where are you going?', but he had half disappeared from the corridor.
'Azriel.' , i warned, but he didn't listen to me. I cursed softly and followed him.
Were we going to start like that again? Well, saying you don't like it when he teases you is a lie, my conscience reminded me. My feet were already moving, following him, when I realized that I had left my High Lord standing, along with my High Lady and her sister, as well as Cassian. I smiled apologetically at them.
'I- um- yes, so I go- ', with a wave of my hand I pointed in the direction where Azriel had disappeared. But they were already sitting on the sofa watching the situation, like it was something funny to gaze me and Azriel doing, well, whatever it was we were doing. Rhysand nodded with a grin and with that I turned and raced off in the direction Azriel had disappeared with my only bag. He could never make it easy for me, though.
'Little Illyrian bastard' I murmured as I stepped through the door.