Return

warning: mature content

When I woke up, it was early in the morning and although I had only gotten a few hours of sleep, I was alert and awake. It was probably because every pore of my body knew that I was going back to the Night Court today, and thus to Az. Estrella had told me yesterday that Thesan would give me one last check-up before I could leave. I knew the inner circle knew about this because Az hadn't sounded surprised when I had told him last night. I was already dressed, as far as you could call a short top with flapper pants a decent set, but I wasn't complaining since it was always warm in the Dawn Court. I had tied my hair back and now sat waiting on the bed while I ate the plate of fruit and cereal which had presented itself before me this morning. When there was a knock on the door, I just mumbled a quick come in before turning back to the last few bites of my breakfast. I knew it was Thesan, which is why I didn't bother to look up. I slurped the last of the milk from my cereal before realizing that it wasn't just Thesan who had entered after all. With an amused look, Rhysand, who had been leaning against the wall opposite me, eyed me. I returned his grin, which always crept up on me as soon as I saw him. It was funny how much my High Lord had grown on me. Remembering him back then, he had been a greatness all by himself, someone who scared me so much that I hardly dared to raise my eyes to him because he radiated so much power. But now, looking at him, he seemed open-minded, I knew he was my friend, someone who cared about me. His heart was in the right place and he was the best thing that could have happened to the Night Court. All that I had seen back then had been a mask, a facade, which he put on only for the Hewn City. Because in the Hewn City power was the only thing that counted.

But now- For me he was a friend, someone I could trust and it made me happy to have found a family like him and the inner circle.

I looked at Thesan again, who smiled slightly before joining me at the bedside and checking my pulse. I looked back at Rhys while Thesan checked me one last time and felt Rhys on my mental shield. I opened it for him.

How are you?

I almost sighed out loud when he asked me the questions that everyone was now asking me all the time.

Good, I said emphatically, but a smile played around my lips. I knew that they only meant well, but at some point, it was also too much of a good thing.

His soft laughter made me look up at him and I recognized the stars sparkling in his violet eyes.

Az is waiting for you, he finally said, and I grinned wider. I gave a murmur of agreement.

I can imagine, I replied, and from the look Rhys gave me, he knew exactly what we were going to do when we finally got back together.

Did you find out anything ? I asked him, about Ashbury and the attack?

His shoulders barely tensed visibly, but I noticed it anyway. Worry rushed through me. I didn't want Velaris to be attacked. The inner circle had sacrificed so much to keep Velaris secret and safe that it would be terrible if Keir, despite his death, could destroy the city.

Not yet, but Az is working on it.

I raised a brow.

Are you sure he doesn't just kill him on hate before he even lets him talk?

He told me he would hold back. At least until you are back and you can put an end to this together.

I averted my eyes from his as memories of what Ashbury had done to me flashed through me. Az knew how much I wanted to see him suffer. And he had decided not to kill him until I was there, too.

I nodded, barely noticeable, and looked back up at Rhys.

Get some rest first, then we will plan our next steps.