seeing each other

I lay on the stand for a while, watching the water, the waves washing up on the shore and just looking at the endless masses of water. The tears had dried up after a while, the feeling of bottomless sorrow had subsided and was filled by an emptiness.
One in which I no longer felt anything, one that swallowed me up when men used me, when it all became too much and I just tuned it all out.
I felt someone settle down next to me, felt the presence, but my gaze stubbornly stuck on the infinity of the horizon.
'What are you doing here?'

Rhysand.

'I'm enjoying the view.'
A monotonous, repetitious answer that sounded like it wasn't coming from me.
I felt his gaze on me, his questions, which he didn't voice.
Instead: 'It's beautiful, isn't it?' He now also looked at the water, the dappled sky, took in this night that was soon to be day. Let it have its effect on him. But I only nodded, without averting my eyes.
'The house is still yours.'
A quiet, calm statement, hardly hesitant, but my head went around to him. How could he know about this?
'I know who lives in my town, and I also know that you were one of my former residents. I am a High Lord. Why wouldn't I know?'
I checked my mental barrier and saw that there really was a small door open. The door for Azriel, should he need it. I closed it again before I thought something that wasn't meant for him or Rhysand.
But the house.
'Why?' I hardly dared to ask.
'Your mother', he said, as if it would settle everything.
'She paid for it. It's her property and she wrote in her contract that it should pass to you. So technically, it's still your house. If you still want it, too.'
I lowered my head into my palms to hide how tears welled up in my eyes again. But I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked at Rhysand. He was already looking at me with that attentive gaze, no pity or concern was in it just curiosity.
'Okay', I said softly. My gaze wandered over the sea again.
'Thank you', I added. 'For telling me.'
'No problem', he said calmly, and I knew how he stowed his questions for another time.
'We should go back to the townhouse. We have to be prepared tomorrow and if you stay here all night, you certainly won't be.'
He stood up and patted the sand off his clothes.
Then he looked out at the sea once more.
'It gets better, you know? I, too, have to struggle with my family and our past, but it gets better with time. You just have to let it.'
He looked down at me, there was understanding in his eyes, but also acceptance that this was just the way it was. Because the past was the past. And I couldn't undo it.
'Just let it be.'
I looked into his eyes. He gave me a small smile and held out his hand for me. I took a deep breath and took his hand as he helped me up. I also patted the sand off me before nodding to him and he took us back to the townhouse.
The night was almost over but I suddenly realized how tired I was. I dragged myself upstairs to Azriel's room, but turned to Rhysand once more.
'I don't know how you knew I was down there, but thank you. I- I needed that, your words, a friend. So, thank you.'
Stars twinkled in his violet eyes as he gave me a nod.
He smiled gently before pointing me to the door.
'He told me where you were. Maybe you should thank him', Rhysand said before disappearing into the dark shadows, leaving me alone in the silent corridor.
I leaned my head against the door behind me and had to smile. Of course, it had been Azriel, who else.
I pushed myself off and slipped into his room. He was still lying-in bed his wings languid and relaxed. I knew he was asleep, but I also knew he was waiting for me. So, I took off my coat, put my pants aside along with my shirt and put one of his on. Put my shoes down and walked over to the bed. Slowly I slid under the covers, towards his arms and snuggled close to his warmth.
'Thank you', I whispered into the silence of the night and watched Azriel relax further now that I was back.
'Thank you for looking out for me when I can't', I murmured, tracing the lines of his face.
'Thank you for being there', I whispered, kissing his forehead before lying against him, my face buried in his chest, my hands braced against his chest, my legs intertwined in his.
'Thank you', I said again before a soft, warm sleep lulled me to sleep.