chapter 23

you find a bunch of paper work, all dating back years ago. they're records of some sort.

you look at the top few pages and figure out they're lists of names with money either being sent out or sent in. they must be trade records. one of the names seems familiar.

"john richmond"

the guy from the office...

you dial his number.

'hello john... i found some of my parents old papers and your names on here... says something about sending out a solid amount of money?'
'i...' there's a long silence for his side of the line.
'i... before i started working at the travel office, i used to work for you parents but i didn't want to be involved in it anymore, it wasn't the life for me so i quit and well they came to me for help fleeing the country coz they know they could trust me with not selling them out and helping them get out without leaving any traces behind... i'm sorry i didn't tell you but i didn't think you'd find out if i'm honest... and i do know where they've gone i just didn't want to tell you because then you'd have to know about my past and it's not something i'm proud of.'

'so where did they flee to then'
'the USA, to san-Francisco'
'thanks' you end that call.

putting the papers back into the metal box, you try and figure out what to do with all the documents, the box bringing a crippling weight to your shoulders the longer you hold it. you take it inside with you and put it in i corner where you can't see it, hoping it won't haunt you too much.

you check the time and it's 18:25 so you settle for getting a shower, hoping to forget about the box.
but your peace of mind is quickly outlived, there's probably more boxes buried in the backyard or maybe in the shed. these unsettling thoughts plague your mind until you fall asleep later that night.

————————————

the next morning you get back do your gardening, again missing a day of school, but you remember you have her today.
'fuck'
you send her a quick text:

-hey i might be a little late today, i'm gonna do some gardening again today. hope you're doing ok xx

-ah ok thanks for telling me babe, i'm doing ok thanks hope you're well too xx

-well sorta, i found a box full of old trade documents but apart from that i'm fine xx

-trade documents...you know your gonna have to turn em in right? xx

-oh i will, anyways got to get back to work, see ya xx

-have fun xx

you set a timer for about 12:00 so you have enough time to get prepared for school and actually try get there on time. you go outside and get back to cleaning up the garden, moving things about and getting rid of any weeds you might have missed.

little did you know you were being watched...

A.N*i have writers block so ngl this might be a bit shit but oh well*