Chapter 5

(Y/n)'s POV

Shadow and I stood side by side behind the start line. With a mere glance, I could feel the hunger pouring from his fiery aura. Whilst his was a simmering determination, mine harboured a nature of tranquility...the calm before a storm.

"(Y/n), why do you seem so relaxed?" Langa asked.
"Because Shadow's an easy opponent."
"What was that?!" Shadow retorted.
"I'll be rooting for you. Give it your best shot."

'I'll be rooting for you. Give it your best shot,' encouraged Luke as he gave my back a hard shove, smiling that same cheeky grin gracing my face.

A single tear threatened to fall, threatened to shatter my nonchalant mask. Langa stared, his lips drawn into a thin line. I simply let out a small grin, wondering how he'd managed to make me resurface a long forgotten memory.

"Thanks, I don't plan on losing."
"We know you won't but good luck!" Reki exclaimed.

The lights flashed red. Shadow readied his position. I stretched my arms. Within seconds of the light turning green, he was speeding away on his skateboard.

I took a moment to roll my ankles around, testing Yuu's gloves with small finger stretches. Cherry simply breathed a sigh as Joe let out a smile. Reki gestured for me to hurry, waving away Langa's questions.

"Alright, fussypants. I'm on my way."

I began walking, leaned down, and threw my skateboard. It landed a quite a bit ahead and began rolling away at an accelerating speed. A grin plastered on my face as I sprinted and utilised the momentum of a few flips to do a tumble turn in the air before landing with both feet on my board.

The force of my landing accelerated the skateboard's speed, swiftly closing the distance between Shadow and I. I bent my knees, going low and leaning to perform sharp bends as I rounded corners.

"Wha- how are you already here?" Shadow questioned in disbelief.

I simply blew him a kiss, earning myself an angry growl. Seeing a bend at the hill up ahead, an idea formed in my head. With my leg pushing forward, the skateboard accelerated at an even greater rate.

I kicked up, leaning closer to the board before making a few turns in the air. The swift, thrilling caress of the wind blew against my face, once again igniting fragments of warm memories.

The abandoned factory came into view and it wasn't long before I was through the doors. Shadow had caught up but this fight's outcome had already been decided the moment he challenged me to a beef.

I glided along the rails, noticing the small break in between. With a strong jump, my body turned in the air, skidding across the finish line. I hurriedly executed an effortless flip, and kicked my skateboard up to catch it within my hand.

"Congrats sis," said Yuu.
"*smiles* Thanks."
"That was amazing, as usual," Reki commented with a large grin.
"Nice job, kid," Joe added.
"Don't call me 'kid'."

Shadow grudgingly held his board out. I took it before noticing Langa staring at me, his eyes full of awe and admiration. It almost seemed as if his heart was pounding.

A small fire ignited within my chest. What was this? Was I...excited? A large, happy grin graced my face as I ran and pulled him along with Reki into a side hug.

"What are you gonna do to his board?" Yuu asked.
"We have time. I hope you enjoy your 'new' board, Shadow."
"Tch, as if I would," was all he said.
"That was the first time I saw you skating so seriously and..." Langa started.
"And...?"
"It was amazing," he finished breathlessly.
"She wasn't too serious," Reki whispered.

I elbowed Reki and flashed Langa a cheeky smile, giving his hand a tight squeeze. A scream was suddenly muffled, followed by scuffled noises. My head turned, wondering what had happened only for the colour to drain from my face.

My hand tightened its grip on Langa, squeezing so tight I'd thought he would've winced and pulled away...but he didn't. Yuu was being held by a large man in a dark suit and sunglasses, his eyes frantic and scared yet he knew he could not struggle against his captor.

Ruka smiled menacingly, her golden eyes shining in victory beneath the mask. She moved forward, coming to a stop only a few paces away from me. Langa made to step out but my squeezing his hand stopped him in his tracks.

"It's Artemis..."
"She's back."
"Omg, is that Artemis?"

Ruka bathed in the attention. Letting go of Langa, I stepped right up to her face, grabbing the front of her shirt. She clicked her fingers. The man slowly twisted Yuu's arm, only stopping when I released his 'mistress'.

"Let my brother go," I seethed, hot and fiery.
"Who has the advantage here, Rose? You are not in a position to make demands," she exclaimed.
"Artemis, he's just a boy," said Cherry.
"Don't butt in, Cherry. Rose-"

Joe punched the man's face, earning a good gasp from Ruka. In his faltering, he let go of Yuu. Joe immediately pushed my brother back, aiming a kick at the guy's jaw, managing to knock him off his feet.

Yuu ran to my side before I left him with Reki and Langa. This time, with no 'advantage' over me, I could 'harm' her and so, kicked Ruka's stomach, leaving her doubling over in pain.

"A-are you gonna k-kill me like how you killed your brother?" she spat, yet the smirk forming on her face made me realise this was what she wanted.
"What's this about? Did Rose kill her brother?"
"That's just Artemis making up stories."
"Really? How can you be sure?"
"Shut up, all of you! Rose didn't kill anyone!" Reki yelled.
"You're just a nobody. Quit acting like you're her friend," Ruka retorted.
"(Y-(Y/n)..."

I quickly rushed to my brother's side, where Langa was on his knee with Yuu cradled in his arms. I searched his body, noticing a small dart on his leg. Anger rose up, burning my chest, burning my heart, burning everything in its path.

"My my, is your brother okay? I sure hope you didn't neglect his health, leaving him to his death," Ruka exclaimed, feigning disbelief and sorrow.
"(Y/n), Joe and I will deal with her. Take Yuu and go," Cherry whispered.
"But- tch."

Joe put a hand on my fist as if to tell me I couldn't, I shouldn't. My mind burned angrily, knowing he was right. Tears threatened to fall as Reki, Langa, and I hurriedly took our leave with an unconscious Yuu in our arms.