Chapter 25

(Y/n)'s POV

I turned to glare at the pink-haired man, who simply shrugged and feigned ignorance to my irritation. The rest of the skaters followed, none coming forward to claim this kiss.

"Who won?"
"I did," Reki exclaimed happily.
"Consider yourself lucky that I excluded this lumpy gorilla from the game," informed Cherry.
"Who're you calling gorilla, you four-eyed wimp?" Joe challenged.
"Don't worry, (Y/n). I don't need that kiss. I wouldn't be your best friend if I needed an incentive to help you...and besides, that'll just make things awkward," Reki said.

A smile touched my lips before he moved forward to pull me into a side hug. Jun walked out of the building, clutching the side of his stomach. I hurriedly rushed over before he collapsed, making me grunt beneath his weight.

"Are you really gonna die after making us rescue you?"
"Ha...funny joke," he replied.
"We should get him to a hospital," Miya exclaimed.
"N-no, no hospitals. Just get me to..." he trailed off.

His eyes found mine. Our hideout. Of course he'd ask to be taken into a dusty, old building owned by my uncle's clan instead of the cleaner, more modernised option of uncle's office building...for fear of being seen by government officials.

"Guys, thanks for helping me."
"Don't sweat it, (Y/n)," said Joe.
"*smiles* Joe, Cherry, let's go. Shadow, you're in charge of getting the kids home."
"Who're you calling a kid?!" Reki argued.
"Come on, kid," said Langa.
"She's talking about you too!"

~Timeskip to Langa's beef~

Reki and I were standing beside Langa, waiting for Adam to arrive. Langa seemed as calm as the still surface of a winter's lake while we were brimming with enough nerves to ignite waiting fireworks.

His hand suddenly gripped mine but it seemed he hadn't done it intentionally seeing as how he was still talking to Reki. His skill would surpass mine. I didn't doubt that. I had no talent, simply years of practice...not like him.

My fingers squeezed his reassuringly, surprising him but for a split second. His eyes stared into mine as I pulled both him and Reki close for a hug. The latter grunted before I turned an innocent smile towards him.

"You're surprisingly calm for someone who's about to go against the legendary skater."
"I'm excited," Langa replied.
"...it's not too late to back off," Reki said quietly.
"Reki, I want to skate against him."

Our conversation was cut short as Adam strode into the crowd. Our eyes followed his movements as he glided towards us. A stoic expression crossed my face, a hand on my skateboard and the other still grasping Langa's.

"Rose, I'm still waiting for that favourable response," he greeted.
"Hey, your opponent today is Snow," Joe exclaimed.
"So don't go on harassing others," added Cherry.
"How unfortunate. One word out of my mouth and the princess already has two knights willing to defend her to the last breath."
"Let's start," Langa said.

Adam and Langa proceeded to the start line, the latter's determined gaze meeting mine for a brief moment. Reki and I held our breaths, our hearts pounding as we waited for the lights to turn green.

A hard glint caught in my eyes as Adam offered a knowing smile. My stomach lurched. My parents's faces flashed in my mind, Yuu's smile flashed in my mind. The race started.

Neither moved. The crowds simply watched on in confusion. Adam spared a glance at Langa, who was staring back at him, before casually throwing away his cigarette. A frown rested on my mouth.

"Ah, sorry Langa-kun," said Adam.

The lights went off again, increasing the addictive intoxication that rested deep in every skater's heart. The air was heavy with anticipation as we waited. Within a few seconds, the lights flashed green once more.

Adam immediately pulled ahead, a testament to his unbeaten skill and ability. My hand gripped Reki's, watching as Langa kept a distance between himself and Adam.

"Seems like someone has put ideas in your head," commented the legendary skater.

That was right. Adam shouldn't be able to do his Love Hug right now or passing corners...yet a deep, unsettling feeling gathered in my gut. There couldn't be some secret to the trick...right?

My grip immediately tightened on Reki's hand. Adam had grabbed onto Langa, much like what he did to the red-haired male standing beside me. My breathing quickened, the images arising with the fear and anxiety.

"(Y/n), it's alright," Reki whispered once noticing my frantic eyes.
"Reki..."
"As much as I hate this, Langa's got it."

We turned our attention back to the screen, where the two were spinning as they passed the corner. Did Langa draw closer to him? A relieved smile graced my face. That boy sure was reckless yet he somehow managed to pull off these stunts.

"His talent is too good," commented Miya.
"Hey Joe, he might even beat you one day."
"Say that when he manages to beat you first," he replied.
"He's up against Adam. Hell if he beats him, he'll be better than the rest of us."

Adam still had a hold of Langa, restricting his movement whilst tightening his grip. My hands were once again slicked with sweat as his beef against Reki replayed over and over, giving my mind no mercy from its cruel depictions.

Langa suddenly pulled free before Reki and I simultaneously breathed a sigh of relief. It was personal and selfish but I didn't like my friends getting close to that legendary skater. He was dangerous.

"Oi oi, I thought he couldn't do his Love Hug while passing a corner," Shadow exclaimed.
"He shouldn't be able to!" Miya added.
"Damn...not even we expected this," said Joe.
"Tch, he's a monster," muttered Cherry.

I stayed silent. The crowds's cheering rose in volume, drowning out the worried voices of my friends. Langa's steady gaze and Reki's reassuring hand were all I needed in that moment. Langa wouldn't be so easily beaten.