Chapter 84

(Y/n)'s POV

Adam strode into the room, harbouring the aura of a predatory lion. His gaze slid over the space, locking eyes with me for a moment longer. He clicked his fingers and almost immediately, Tadashi ordered the guards to release me.

I took the hand he offered and allowed him to pull me up before stretching my arms. Adam came over and placed a hand on my shoulder. The tension was thick and syrupy with all eyes on the famous politician who seemed to have my side.

"Why was (Y/n)-chan tackled to the ground? Yamada-san?" Adam asked.
"Shindo-san, you didn't have to come check up on us. I didn't want you to see this unsightly scene," replied Ruka's father.
"Excuse me? Did you just call my daughter an unsightly scene?" dad seethed.
"Don't worry, (F/n). Let me handle this. Yamada-san, I'm backing out of the deal."
"What? But that girl you're trying to save is a liar! Ruka is the innocent one!"

Ruka managed to plaster a look of sorrow and fear on her face, dropping to her knees as she hugged herself and rocked back and forth. Yuu rolled his eyes upon seeing her display. Adam's hand on my shoulder held me back from throwing my fist at the smug look in her eyes.

"(Y/n)-chan is a dear friend. You ruined the deal as soon as your unsightly daughter attempted to harm her. I'm leaving...with (Y/n) and her friends."
"But-"

Adam flashed him a dangerously menacing grin before pulling me towards the door. I didn't need to look back to know that Ruka was fuming in anger. We didn't stop until we had reached Adam's fancy car.

Tadashi opened the door for us, gesturing for us to go in. Reki, Yuu and I looked at each other with hesitant gazes; however, dad got into the front seat as if this was a daily occurrence for him.

An awkward silence filled the space, though both Tadashi and dad seemed oblivious to the atmosphere. I eventually cleared my throat, drawing everyone's attention.

"Why were you and dad at Ruka's place?"
"Yamada-san invited me over to discuss the deal I broke off. I thought it'd be interesting to introduce your father to him as a possible business partner so I invited him along," Adam replied.
"Wait, the more important question is, how do you even know someone like him? He's Shindo Ainosuke!" Reki exclaimed.
"He's a...family friend."
"Eh? Actually?" Yuu questioned.
"Yes, I asked your parents not to go on mentioning this to anyone," Adam answered.

Reki was now staring at us with wide eyes though Yuu didn't seem to care in the slightest. Dad turned his head to look at me. A nervous storm brewed in my stomach, knowing what he was going to say.

"Has that Ruka girl always been behaving like that?" he asked.
"You don't...believe anything she said, right?"
"Of course not. Her tears were as fake as Reki's toothbrushing."
"Hey! My toothbrushing is very real," Reki said with a dramatic flourish.
"Dad, you don't need to worry about her, ne? She's just craving for attention."
"(Y/n), tell me the truth."
"Don't worry, (F/n). I'll protect (Y/n)! I'm her knight in shining armour," Reki announced.
"More like court jester," Yuu replied whilst smirking.
"Oi!"

The three of us cracked into laughter. Adam's lips curved into an amused smile as he watched us. Another silence soon overtook the talking until we stopped near one of dad's cafes. Tadashi helped open the door before we climbed out.

"Thanks Ainosuke-san. Let's go out for lunch sometime," dad thanked him.
"No worries, it'll be my pleasure. Take care, (Y/n)-chan."

I glanced at dad, though his gaze was elsewhere. As Adam and Tadashi left, we noticed Langa a few metres away. He had schooled his expression into one of nonchalance, having noticed that my dad was with us.

Much to my dismay, dad waved him over with a happy grin. I plastered a casual smile on my face, offering a small wave as if we never had glass shards in our relationship, as if everything was a pleasant nightmare.

"Where are you off to in such a rush?" dad asked.
"Jun asked to meet up," Langa replied.
"Great, (Y/n) and friends can join you. Get a breather."
"Why are we just the sidekicks?" Reki muttered.
"*laughs* Have fun, kids. Don't break any bones."
"Don't count on it, dad," said Yuu.

He waved goodbye before heading into the cafe. Tension rose, silent guns and poisonous knives kept close by. Silence became our beloved companion as we traversed the city streets, past pedestrians and zooming cars.

I caught Langa's ice blue eyes watching my movements. My heart pounded traitorously, knowing that the intensity behind his gaze was only due to distrust and hatred. His heart was most likely...falling for Ayaka now.

"Why are you meeting Jun?" Yuu asked.
"He said he could help me train today," replied Langa.
"Oh, for that bet Jun and his dad have going? You gotten good enough to beat my sister yet?"
"I think I'd need a few more years of practice to be able to be on equal footing."
"You never know. I've heard that your physical abilities are off the roof-"

He paused mid-sentence as his ringtone sounded and filled the empty pockets of space. His eyes lit up in excitement as he conversed with his friend about a new game that had been released. Upon hanging up, he flashed an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, duty calls. My friend's having a last minute sleepover. I'll see ya later?" he asked.
"Sure, have fun. Don't get up to any naughty business."
"*smirks* I wouldn't dream of it."

Yuu waved goodbye before rushing off. I immediately put my arms around both Langa and Reki, earning a grunt from the two. To anyone, we would appear like a group of happy friends. I kept my voice low.

"A suspicious person has been following us ever since we left my dad's cafe. If they attack, run to my uncle's hideout."