Chapter 110

(Y/n)'s POV

I moved back to the bed, collapsing onto the soft mattress and ignoring the aches that arose. Although I covered my eyes with my arm, I could feel Langa's gaze like a searing iron rod. The truth remained on the tip of my tongue, eager to spill though not at the risk of harming both our families.

"What do you think?"
"I don't know what to think anymore. I just want the truth...please," he begged.
"Langa, if someone hurt your mum, would you want revenge?"
"(Y/n), what are you-"
"Just answer the question."
"...yes."
"If I was the girl you wanted me to be and I harmed her, would you hate me?"
"Don't ask me that," he whispered, pained.
"What if I had gotten her killed because there was someone else I needed to save?"

He didn't answer. The soft tap of his footsteps loomed closer until my skin tingled at the slight touch of his hand. He lifted my arm away, pushing my fingers into a fist...fingers that were bloodied and shaking.

I had been subconsciously scratching at my arm without realising. Deep scratches crossed over a minor injury that had not been bandaged. Blood dripped down my skin like a spider weaving its web.

"Why do you hurt yourself?" he asked softly.
"I didn't realise I was doing it."

He silently grabbed a few tissues and began dabbing at the blood.

"Why are you doing this? You should hate me."
"You're bleeding," was his simple reply.
"No, Langa. You can't. If Ruka sees this or senses that you're starting to 'like' me, she might hurt-"
"Are you worried about me?"

The answer died at the tip of my tongue, dissipating into thin air as I realised the close proximity of his face. He searched my eyes, as if he wanted to close the distance but was afraid of any retaliation.

I glanced at his lips though that was a fatal mistake. He noticed, like he always did with everything I wished to hide. My heart pounded as he inched closer. My body was frozen. His lips barely grazed mine when the door suddenly bursted open.

Ayaka stood just outside. Langa didn't bother to move away, making her expression turn into one of hurt and anger. I plastered a smirk on my face, moving to grab Langa's wrist. Her face darkened.

"Ne, did you like seeing me force your boyfriend to kiss me?"
"You make me sick. How could you? Haven't you already manipulated him enough?" she seethed.
"Ayaka, that's not what happened-" Langa began.
"Little Langa, now's not the time. Your girlfriend deserves a proper explanation. I've had enough. You can go back to her. I'm tired, I'm going to sleep."

I didn't bother seeing whether they left as I hid my face under the thin blanket. The beating of my heart had not slowed. Langa had almost kissed me. Heat rushed to my cheeks. What was I doing? He didn't need someone like me...someone who'd manipulate him to no end.

Yuu's POV

As we walked back from the cafe on the first floor of the hospital, I noticed Ayaka and Langa leaving (Y/n)'s room. Ayaka barely gave us an acknowledging glance before attempting to lead Langa away.

"Did you hurt my sister?"
"Of course not. I'm not a barbarian," replied Ayaka.
"Your twin certainly had no restraint."
"Ruka simply cares a lot for me."
"I'm surprised, considering how you both lack the humane sense to care for others. Just look at how you stole Langa away."
"I didn't steal him. Your sister was a menace to him. She treated him like a toy."

Before I could utter another reply, Reki slapped her. Both Miya and I were in shock. The pure anger on his face was overwhelming. Langa immediately pushed him back, telling him not to touch her.

"You don't get to tell me what I can or can't do! If you're willing to defend that witch, then I never want to see your face again. I've spent my entire life with (Y/n) so I know her but they're biased to hate her. Why the hell do you believe them? I don't know what happened between you guys but you're a damn jerk if you think (Y/n) acting cold is her real personality," Reki exclaimed angrily.
"Not even an apology for slapping me?" Ayaka asked.
"You really have no shame," Cherry commented.
"I'm not in the wrong-"
"Damn straight you are. Don't give me that innocent look," Reki retorted.

Ayaka simply curled her lips into a placating smile, as if Reki was a child who did not understand the complexity of adulthood. I clenched my fists, hating her for making my sister miserable and despising her twin for orchestrating this.

"Langa, I know you probably think I'm biased for saying this but I love my sister. I know she loves me back just as much. Do you really think someone who cares for their sibling that much deserves both Ruka and Ayaka's hatred?"

The girl pulled him away before we could say anymore. I didn't wait for anyone as my legs carried me to (Y/n)'s room. I was prepared to see her in a state worse than before; however, I had not been prepared for her to be sleeping under her blanket like a child hiding from her worst nightmare.

She moved though made no attempt to wake up. It was only mere seconds later when Ryota came by, clutching a bag of her favourite snacks. He silently placed them on the table before going to sit by her side. I watched his expression soften when the slightest peek of her face was revealed by the blanket.

"Do you love her?"

The question was out before I could seal my lips shut. He dragged his gaze away from her sleeping form to stare at me. Everyone was silent as we waited for his answer.

"*sigh* I'm supposed to be her boyfriend. How could I not? I didn't want it to turn out this way but it has."