Chapter 22

(Y/n)'s POV

The air buzzed with chatter, the smell of pasta permeating the atmosphere. My fingers subconsciously gripped the skateboard sitting on my lap, when I began smiling.

"Does my pasta smell that good that it made you smile like an idiot?" Joe teased.
"Nah man, you got it all wrong. She's admiring my board," said Reki.
"You both gonna shut it or do I have to do it for you?"
"You said you were hungry and yet you're the only one who hasn't begun eating," commented Cherry.
"Sorry, I was..."
"(Y/n), you won. Ruka lost. That's certain. No need to think about it anymore. You're legions above her," Reki reassured.
"Someone really needs to teach her a lesson," Yuu muttered.
"We'll get back at her-"
"(Y/n), she almost killed you!"

The sorrow and desperation were clear in his large, reflective eyes as the realisation dawned on me. Despite acting mature for his age, he was still a kid. Losing another sibling wasn't something I would ever want to put him through.

"Come on, Yuu. I'm not going anywhere."
"Oi Langa, mind doing some translating?" Reki asked.
"Alright, enough chitchat. I'm hungry."

Cherry rolled his eyes at my remark, causing an eruption of giggles to escape my mouth. A small smile slipped onto his face as I began eating. Reki suddenly put an arm around my shoulders and pulled me in for a celebratory speech.

A tissue softly touched my skin as Langa gently wiped the sauce from my mouth. My cheeks bloomed a deep red, my eyes trailing his face. I was pulled away from Reki and slammed against Langa's side.

"You shouldn't go around giving speeches with her looking like a feasting chipmunk," he exclaimed to his dumbfounded friend.
"What is this? The beginning of a love triangle?" Joe teased.
"Guys, (Y/n)'s getting embarrassed," added Yuu.
"Do you all have a death wish?!"

~A few days later~

I was out the door as soon as the bell's ringing reverberated throughout the building. Reki and Langa were not behind by far as we skated down the path, knowing our location due to our having discussed it beforehand.

The cool caress of the wind only increased the thrill of the ride, a large grin gracing my face. I executed a quick railslide before moving towards the road to the right.

A familiar silver car strode smoothly across the road. With an effortless stop, I waited as the vehicle slowed beside us. Mum's face appeared out the window. Reki immediately greeted her whilst wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"Hello ma'am," he exclaimed happily.
"Reki, I haven't seen you in a while. What have you been up to?" asked mum.
"You know me. Hanging out with (Y/n)."
"You're still skating?"
"Yes ma'am."
"*sigh* I really want to tell you two to stop. You know what happened to Luke..."
"Ma'am, it won't happen to us. I won't let it happen."
"If (Y/n) does something-"
"She won't. She's your daughter. Trust her, yeah?"

My fingers clenched together, unaware that Langa had noticed this, had noticed my frantic eyes and quick breaths. Our red-haired friend donned a nonchalant smile as my mum drove away, leaving behind unsaid words and unwarranted tension.

"(Y/n)..." Langa began.
"Let's go. I wanna skate."
"Are you alright? You seem..."
"There was an incident a few years ago. Nothing you needa worry about," I replied with a cheeky grin.
"Guys, come on. (Y/n)'s grumpy side will come out if we continue to stand here," said Reki.
"Oi!"

He was riding away as soon as the words left his mouth. I suppressed an irritated smirk before chasing after him with Langa. The wind tousled his blue hair as he skated alongside me, blurring with the clarity of the sky.

Ruka's POV

A pretentious smile plastered itself onto my face. Empty words escaped my mouth. Surrounding me were an endless cycle of connections that would snap at the slightest hint of tension.

Father greeted the guests with the ease of a businessman, his words easy yet professional. I wanted more than anything to escape. I hated this pretentious act. However, it did come with luxuries that I wouldn't ever give up.

"Ruka-sama, it's so nice to see you again," exclaimed a distant relative, who in all honesty I could not remember the name of.
"Yes, it has been a while."
"I heard that your father wants you to pick a candidate."
"A candidate?"
"For your marriage."
"Ruka-sama, it's time for you to leave for your lessons," said a guard.

I bid farewell to the woman, donning a smile as I hurriedly left the party. A large sigh left my lips. Two guards dressed in casual street clothing followed at a discreet distance.

No matter what time of day, it seemed the streets were never empty. A harsh wind snatched at my loose waves as an irritated expression crossed my face. A familiar figure suddenly caught my eye before I slowed to a stop.

It was the boy who had stopped my guards at my beef against (Y/n). I stalked over to his side as he window shopped. He gave no reaction and continued to skip from store to store, much to my annoyance.

"So? I'm assuming you want to say something to me," he exclaimed.
"How do you know (Y/n)?"
"We're friends."
"Are you trained in martial arts?"
"Are you interrogating me, miss?"
"I'm just curious."

Within a split second, he was towering over me with his arms on either side as my back slammed against the wall. I quickly sent a look towards my guards, telling them to stay back.

"Listen, I don't like the fact that you're trying to hurt (Y/n). I also don't like the idea of you trying to manipulate me, so get lost before I lose it," he growled.
"Oh? What a rough way to treat a lady."
"Lady? I only see a beast in front of me."

I pushed him away, grinding my teeth once noticing the smirk on his face. (Y/n) couldn't be the only one to shine in the light. I would push her back into the shadows...where she belonged.