Chapter 29

(Y/n)'s POV

I snuck a glance at the blue-haired male casually twirling a pencil in his hand. Thinking back on that night, a small smile graced my face. In the end, he had convinced me to stay over at his place, undoubtedly shocking his mum.

A blush crept upon my cheeks as I remembered the way I had fallen asleep on his shoulder whilst we were watching a movie in his room. A piece of paper landed on my desk, breaking my train of thought. Teacher asked a question.

"The answer's on page 286 of the textbook, sir."
"Thank you, (Y/n.) At least one person's paying attention," said the teacher.

Reki put a thumbs up when I glanced over. I smiled back. The bell rang not long after before I was shoving my books into my bag. My two friends followed as I rushed out, needing the thrill once more.

A smile graced my face, my body naturally settling into position as we skated past pedestrians and buildings, lights and trees. We were heading to our usual course, hoping to get in more practice before Langa's beef.

With a quick throw, my bag landed in a small corner as I continued down the path. As a hill came into view, I jumped off and flipped over the pile of dirt before landing smoothly onto my skateboard.

My knees bent as I crouched around corners, occasionally flipping my board to try attain more of the thrill. Suddenly my hand was engulfed in a strong grasp. Kyle winked, pulling me closer to him.

"Hey sweetheart," he greeted.
"Can you let go?"
"Sorry, I don't think I can. I love having you in my arms."
"Even when I'm in another boy's clothes?"
"Is that hoodie your 'boyfriend's'?"
"Yeah, I stayed over last night."

We began spinning with his arm firmly around my waist as if afraid I would disappear any minute. As much as I'd hate to admit it, his skill was undeniable. He had matched his own skating to mine, making it seem as if we were two birds dancing through the trees.

Someone skated past, knocking me into Kyle, who quickly steadied himself after catching me in his arms. It wasn't long before the two of us crashed but strangely enough, he had his arms around me as his body shielded mine from the impact.

"Kyle!"

I hurriedly got off, checking his body for injuries. Apart from a few minor bruises and a cut on his arm, he seemed fine. A smile tugged at his lips as his gaze met mine.

"Why'd you do that?"
"You must really think badly of me. Listen, as much as I'd like you to be mine, I'm not in the habit of letting girls get hurt," he replied.
"Oh really?"
"Of letting the girl I like get hurt," he corrected.

The skater who had caused this came back around, her ever-present graceful smirk plastered on her face. I helped Kyle up as Reki and Langa caught up to us. Ruka faced us with feigned innocence.

"Oops, didn't see you there. Forgive me," she exclaimed.
"Here to cause trouble again?"
"Ne, who's the hottie?"
"No one you should bother with."
"(Y/n), let's go. We have better things to do," said Reki.

Reki's hand clasped mine before he pulled me away. As if it was natural for him to do this, Kyle began following us. Ruka grabbed Kyle's hand, where to oblivious onlookers, it would seem like a girl reaching for her boyfriend.

"What the hell?" Kyle exclaimed.
"Quick, let's make our escape," Reki whispered.
"Oi (Y/n), you're not gonna leave me here, right? Who even is she?"
"She's someone I really hate. Probably thinks you're one of my best friends so she's trying to make me jealous...but she also thinks you're hot. Maybe you should get together with her. Anyway, bye."
"(Y/n), wait. Please."
"(Y/n), can you stop talking for a minute? I want to hear his voice," said Ruka.

Kyle suddenly shook off her iron grip and took my hand in his. A surprised yell left my lips as he began running. Reki and Langa immediately followed. Looking behind, I realised Ruka had sent her guards after us.

We traversed the busy streets, attempting to lose them in the crowd. The surroundings became a blur, blending with each other whilst our eyes searched desperately for a place where we would lose our pursuers.

Kyle pulled me into an alleyway, where we watched them run past, getting lost in the myriad of faces. A relieved sigh escaped my mouth but was interrupted as Reki ripped Kyle's hand off of mine.

"No need to get so defensive. I saved us. Don't you think I deserve a little thank you?" said Kyle.
"Our little truce is over. Don't touch her again," Langa replied.
"Come on, don't be such a douchebag. I-"
"We'll settle this with our beef."

I was pressed against the brick wall as Langa moved to stand in front of me. Kyle had taken a few steps forward, an arrogant grin permanently painted on his face.

"I can't wait for it, Snow. I heard you're good, but don't think you can beat me just because you've had some beginner's luck," Kyle exclaimed.

With that, he stalked off. I leaned my head against Langa's back, wondering why I attracted so much trouble. Both Reki and Langa would have a far more peaceful time if I weren't here...

Reki poked my cheek, making me smile despite all these thoughts devouring my mind. He took my hand in his whilst I grabbed Langa's sleeve before leading us into the bustling city.

"Want to go to your dad's cafe?" Reki asked.
"Sure."
"Yuu texted me earlier. He said he's bored."
"Oh really? He can come along to help Langa practice then."
"Hey (Y/n), if you were to compare Kyle to someone..." Langa began.
"He's probably on the same level as Joe and Cherry, possibly, maybe even slightly better. My brother was always better but now I'm not so sure. It's been a while since then."
"I see..."
"Anyway, let's hurry!" Reki exclaimed cheerfully.