Chapter 79

(Y/n)'s POV

Yuu announced another win. He had won six out of ten games. The chess pieces laid scattered across the board, forming a nonsensical array of shapes. A sigh passed my lips, though the subtlety of the action didn't escape my brother's attention.

"(Y/n), you haven't gone to school for the past week. Something's wrong and you're not telling me. Is it because Miya got kidnapped that day? Are you worried they're gonna try something again?" Yuu asked.
"They said some things. I'm not in the mood to talk about it."
"You're gonna be okay. If there's anyone threatening you, I'm sure you can beat their ass, or you could just order Jun to do it and pretend he's your servant."
"*smiles* Thanks Yuu."
"Everything's gonna be fine."

If only that were true. I gave his hand a tight squeeze. At that moment, dad waltzed through the doors and came to our table in the cafe. I was quick to plaster a smile onto my face, least he suspected that something had happened.

"Hey kids, what are you guys up to?" he greeted.
"Nothing, just beating (Y/n) in chess," replied Yuu.
"Ah, my boy's a genius. But you, young miss, haven't been going to school. I thought I'd leave it alone but is something up?"
"I'm just sick."
"And yet, you've brought your sickly body outside when you should supposedly be resting."
"I'm getting better, it's fine."
"You know, your dad also had relationships issues when he was growing up."
"Ughh dad, that's not the problem."

He began laughing, though soon sobered up. A serious yet gentle look crossed his face, indicating that this was not a matter I could simply brush off and be done with. Yuu and I glanced at each other before growing quiet.

"When I was your age, I had a bad 'breakup'. It was my fault."
"What happened?" Yuu asked.
"She was my first love. As school got harder, I focused more on my studies. I became obsessed with getting good grades and being the best on the sports teams...I barely gave her a thought."
"Dad..."
"She was also my childhood friend. She took my distance badly. She...almost took her own life."
"I'm so sorry."
"So (Y/n), I hope you know what you're doing. Don't do something you'll regret."

He gave my shoulder a squeeze and offered an encouraging smile before getting to work. Yuu's hand slipped into mine underneath the table. He was fidgeting with a new invention the size of a small teddybear in his other hand, the both of us sitting in silence after hearing dad's story.

Langa's POV

I saw (Y/n) through the window of her father's cafe. Her expression was drawn into one of silent melancholy. Like some magnetic impulse, my heart was pulling me towards her, making me no different from a dutiful servant.

Her betrayal had cut me deep. Everywhere and everything was bleeding a deep, dark red. Why was she making such a sorrowful face? Why did she look as if she were hurting when I was the one who had been hurt?

"Hey," Ayaka greeted.

She followed my gaze to see (Y/n), now chatting with her brother and Reki, who had just walked in. I looked away from Ayaka's eyes when she stepped in front of me to block my view.

"She hurt you quite a lot," she said softly.
"I don't need a reminder."
"You loved her. That's why it hurts so much."

I...what? Was that what it was all along? That warm, tingling feeling whenever she was close, the way I had trailed her every move, the way she could make my heart throb and pound...the urge to protect her from everything and everyone, to make her smile. Was that love?

At this revelation, it felt as if my entire body was on fire. I was burning with pain. Ayaka took my hand in hers, intertwining our fingers as if she could take on some of the broken shards of my heart.

"I promise I'll make you forget about her. I'll heal your heart," she exclaimed.
"I..."
"Langa, I like you a lot and I'll do whatever it takes to make you realise that...to make you love me."

I wasn't sure how to feel. It seemed as if my heart was still yearning for (Y/n) despite everything she had done, everything she had said. My eyes trailed her movements as she headed outside and skated away with Reki whilst her brother hurriedly caught up on his bike.

My fingers tightened around my skateboard. She taught me how to skate. Was it really just to mess with my head? Ayaka gently smoothed out the fingers I had clenched into a fist. I found it hard to focus on her when my mind was constantly filled with thoughts of (Y/n).

"So there is something going on between you and (Y/n)."

I turned around at the sound of the familiar voice. Joe raised an eyebrow as I met his gaze before he turned to look at Ayaka.

"Of course there's something going on. Langa just doesn't like her anymore and she didn't take it quite well," Ayaka replied.
"Is that true?" Joe asked me.
"...believe whatever you want."
"Did Ruka or Ayaka threaten you?"
"No, they just told me the truth."

He narrowed his eyes, though didn't comment on my reply. Ayaka tugged on my hand, wanting to lead me away from (Y/n)'s close friend. Joe's eyes moved to look at my skateboard, which I was still holding onto like it was a precious jewel.

"(Y/n) and Reki taught you how to skate. They were your friends. I don't know what that girl might've told you but whatever bad thing you're thinking, (Y/n) didn't do it," Joe exclaimed firmly.
"Of course you'd believe that. You're her friend," said Ayaka.
"Langa, you were her friend too. Ruka is just looking to bring her down. Can't you see that?"

This time, I let Ayaka drag me away. He didn't know what (Y/n) had done, none of them did. I could no longer care for the girl I once loved. She was simply a painful memory...yet why did my heart long for her still?