Chapter 39

No one's POV

(Y/n) deflected the blow from her opponent, taking this opportunity to strike him in the jaw. He stumbled a few steps, having to hurriedly avoid her next few attacks, which came like lightning.

He found he couldn't keep up with her fast strikes, eventually putting his hands up in defeat. The girl grinned, offering the man a handshake before he left in search of some ointment.

"Alright, my turn," Jun exclaimed, taking his position in front of (Y/n).

Reki and Langa had entered a few moments before, going unnoticed by the two currently having a 'showdown'. The members emitted wary looks but made no move to stop them as they had been informed of their arrival.

Langa stared, his face mirroring an expression of awe and wonder. This was a yakuza hideout, he thought. More importantly, he was completely enchanted by the girl he had grown fond of, the girl who had taken down a man twice her size and was now facing yet another opponent.

"(Y/n)'s super good, right?" Reki asked.
"Yeah," was all Langa said.
"Damn, she's captured all of your attention."
"Eh?"

(Y/n) blocked Jun's incoming punch, swinging around to pull his arm behind his back. He tightened his grip on her wrist, managing to switch their positions so that she had an arm behind her with one of his hands on her neck and his chest against her back.

To any passerby, it would appear as if they were locked in some lovers' embrace. Their hearts were beating ferociously, fuelled by the adrenaline of the fight. (Y/n) suddenly grabbed a knife from her belt, making Jun hurriedly jump away lest he suffered a cut.

"Giving up so easily after seeing a blade?" she teased.
"Come on, no fair. Where's mine?" he exclaimed.
"Blame your slow-wittedness."

They circled each other, both harbouring expressions drenched in concentration until (Y/n) sported a beckoning grin. Jun charged like an angry strike of lightning, making both Reki and Langa gape for they had never seen the male fight.

Their friend was no less threatening as she ran back and used the wall as leverage to swing herself over Jun, catching his neck with her legs as they both slammed to the ground.

Langa's heart was pounding like he had run a three-day marathon. A blossoming of warmth had grown in his heart, though he failed to realise. He was beginning to fall hard and he didn't even know.

"Alright, enough. I don't want either of you getting a broken arm," exclaimed Jun's father.
"Have some faith. I'd stop before it gets to that," replied Jun.

(Y/n) noticed her friends standing in the midst of the yakuza members before heading over to pull them into a bear hug. Reki hurriedly tapped her back, trying to get her to let go for she didn't know how tight she could hug.

"You should've seen Langa's face, man. He couldn't keep his eyes off you," Reki said.
"*blush* What? I wasn't like that," Langa argued.
"Do you wanna learn?" (Y/n) asked with a laugh.
"Yeah, come on," urged a man with tattoos covering both his arms.
"Yeah, let's see him fight," added another with multiple facial piercings.
"Now that I know you'll all tease us, I won't teach him," (Y/n) exclaimed while pouting.

The men started laughing, much to her dismay though a slight smile slipped onto her lips. Langa was still watching her, from her bright eyes to her teasing lips, from the way she stood to the way she moved.

"We're gonna be heading off. See you all later," she farewelled.
"Don't make me come get you next time," Jun replied.
"Noted."

(Y/n)'s POV

We had traversed back onto neutral territory. I willed myself to calm down as my body was currently a tightly coiled wire ready to twist and spring into a tangled mess. I hadn't counted on Langa paying so much attention to me...it was making my heart thump heavily.

"Wanna race to the skate park?" asked Reki.
"Sure."
"Not so fast, little missy," said a muscular man with multiple tattoos covering his exposed chest.
"Do I know you?"
"Oh you will soon enough. Where is your uncle's clan? I have some bones to pick with them."
"I don't know. I'm not a member so they don't let me know their location."
"Stop lying unless you want your friends to die."

Langa clutched my hand almost instinctively whilst Reki moved closer, blocking half my body with his. I scanned our surroundings as several more men stepped out from the shadows.

"Let us go. We have nothing to do with your fight."
"No but you'll make fine hostages. Get them."

I cursed under my breath, knowing I couldn't win a fight against this many people alone. The chances immediately tipped in their favour as soon as guns were brought out and loaded.

A bullet grazed my cheek, searing off a few strands of hair. My knees buckled. My breathing became rapid. My vision blurred. Arms wrapped around me as I trembled and collapsed, struggling to breathe.

"(Y/n), it's alright. Everything's gonna be fine," Reki reassured with his hands cupping my face so that I could only see him.

Langa had his arms around me, tightening his grip when he sensed an increase in my shaking as a myriad of gunshots fired in the distance. I heard Jun's familiar voice in the fray of the fight. They had come.

"Langa, we should go now. It's not a good idea to stay here in the middle of a yakuza war," Reki exclaimed in an urgent tone.

I felt myself being lifted in Langa's arms. Reki turned my head so that my face was nestled against Langa's neck and away from the horrors that threatened to devour us.

My fingers trembled as I clutched them together. Reki didn't stop speaking fun, nonchalant reassurances. His tone didn't strain. He remained consistent, allowing me no time to think on the guns and horrible memories.

The world tilted around me. Langa crashed to the ground yet he had taken the brunt of the fall. Even as he lost consciousness, his arms were still around me as if worried I'd disappear. A man was standing behind him with a bat and a smirk on his scarred face.

"Damn it! You wanna fight?" Reki said whilst holding his hands in front of him like he knew how to win.
"S-stand back. I'll deal with him."
"But (Y/n)-"

He stopped upon seeing the look on my face. I had completely lost it. If Langa died...if he died... I gritted my teeth, all emotions hidden away from my eyes.

"Ne Mr Ugly Face, you hurt my friend. What makes you think you'll come out of this alive?"