Chapter 58

(Y/n)'s POV

The bell's ringing reverberated across the school before I was packing my stuff into my bag, wincing once knocking my wrist against the edge of the desk. The pain dulled to a numb ache. I gingerly grabbed my bag.

Langa abruptly took my skateboard and left the classroom, with Reki taking my bag from my hands in my moment of confusion. I hurried after my friends, frowning when they refused to let me carry my own stuff.

"Be grateful and just accept that you're a hurt human being, okay?" Reki exclaimed.
"I'm a healthy human being."
"Yeah, right. I'll turn you into a human bean if you wanna argue with me."

A giggle escaped me before I was erupting like a volcano of laughter. He flashed me a look that said I was crazy but couldn't stop the large grin gracing his face. Langa silently watched our interaction, quickly averting my gaze when I looked over.

I puzzled over his actions though it wasn't long before he distracted me with a soft smile and placed my board on the ground. Instinctively, my feet were on as if it was second nature. I felt a bump on my back before realising that Reki was holding my bag up for me to slip my arms through the straps.

"Ready to go?" he asked.
"Langa!" called a melodic voice.

We turned to see Ayaka waving from the open window of her car. A heavy lock trapped my heart, imprisoning my emotions within its indestructible chains. The warm smile on Langa's face was immediately replaced with an expression devoid of emotion.

"Did you want to hang out?" she asked.
"Sorry, I'm going to hang out with (Y/n) and Reki," Langa replied.
"Mind if I join?"
"Mind if I say I don't trust you? I'm not letting my friend anywhere near you unwillingly," I exclaimed.
"I'm sorry about that. I wasn't trying to make an enemy."
"Will you keep following us until we agree to your hanging out with us?"
"Most likely, yes."

A hollow laugh escaped my mouth. There were no limits to these twin sisters' insanity. I was soon skating down the street with both Reki and Langa behind me. Of course, Ayaka followed in her luxurious car despite how odd it would seem to any passerby.

I executed a railslide before kicking my board up over the railing. Reki and Langa did the same. We were racing down the streets, avoiding pedestrians who occasionally yelled at us for being the 'delinquents' we were, but I couldn't care less.

In this short moment, I was beginning to feel the thrill. My body yearned for it, almost as if it needed this to live. A large grin tugged at my lips as I performed a somersault in the air and landed effortlessly on top of the raised platform.

Reki's eyes were determined as he skated faster and did an anti casper flip, stumbling slightly towards the end. My smile grew wider before I gave him a highfive as he skated past. Langa quickly followed with the same trick. I let out a low whistle, making him blush and turn away.

We had arrived at my dad's cafe and immediately headed inside. We ordered some drinks and settled into the seats, enjoying the cool air conditioning. That was, until Ayaka sauntered in a few minutes later.

She tilted her head to the side, the gesture innocent enough to make any guy swoon. I bit the straw in my drink, barely glancing at her as she took the seat directly in front of me and coincidentally, right next to Langa.

"Remind me again why you're hanging out with us."
"I'm quite certain I've made it clear. I'm interested in him," Ayaka answered while looking at Langa.
"He doesn't seem to want to hang out with you though."
"Langa, is there a particular reason you dislike me?" she asked him.
"Your sister hurt (Y/n) with no plausible reason," he replied.
"Mmm? She murdered our older brother. I don't know the full story as I was abroad studying but Ruka was quite close with him. And I don't see why my sister hurting your friend is reason enough for you to dislike me."
"You agree with your sister."
"Of course. I heard he passed away due to gunshot wounds. Is there another reason why (Y/n) is so afraid of guns?"

My breathing came in fast and shallow. Reki's hand immediately gripped mine, acting as an anchor to prevent my thoughts from spiralling down any further. Although Reki could tell, I hid everything behind a nonchalant smile.

"Don't worry though, (Y/n). I don't despise you unnecessarily like my sister does," Ayaka exclaimed.
"I don't care either way."
"So? Langa, would you care to join me for a walk?"
"It's okay, Langa," I said.

His eyes narrowed as he stared at me. Did he notice? Reki must have secretly signalled something though, seeing as how he was reluctantly heading towards the door. Ayaka immediately jumped up to follow him.

I leaned my head against Reki's shoulder, who tightened his grip on my hand and began drawing circles with his thumb. He talked in a low voice about things that didn't matter, about precious memories and lost things.

Eventually, my breathing slowed until my heart was calm. Reki didn't let go of my hand though. He stopped talking once noticing my having calmed down before grabbing his drink. Joe decided to walk in at that moment, taking the seat Langa had vacated.

"You two okay?" he asked.
"We're fine."
"I saw Langa with Ruka."
"Ayaka, Ruka's sister."
"Huh?"
"Kaoru didn't fill you in?"
"What? Hell no."

Reki explained what had happened the night of the prom as Joe listened closely.

"Damn, now you have two psychos to deal with," he commented.
"Ugh, please don't remind me."
"*laughs* So what was Langa doing with her?"
"Unfortunately, she has a crush on him so we have no choice but to let her hang out with him for now."
"I'm surprised he's going along with it, considering how Ruka's been treating you."
"That's because (Y/n) said it was okay," Reki replied.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"What do you mean 'what do you mean?'"
"You made it sound as if it's only because I asked."

Reki tilted his head to the side in confusion whilst Joe simply smirked before letting out a boisterous laugh. A frown marred my face. What had happened that had caused such amusement for Joe?

"Anyway, you two wanna go to S tonight?" he asked.