Chapter 1

Peter tries to breathe as quietly and calmly as he can in order to prevent Mason from entering his room. He doesn't need to give that man any reason to shout at him. It seems that ever since he moved into the apartment with Peter and May he's changed from the cool guy trying to win his approval to an ill-tempered man that can't seem to stand Peter's presence half the time. Several times he's thought of talking to May but each time she sees her two boys sitting together for dinner she can't help but look happier than Peter has seen her in years. "I can do this. Only a few more hours until May gets home," Peter reminds himself just before the door slams open. "What are you in here doing?" "N-nothing. I... I was just... Well," Peter stumbles over his words in his nervousness. "Stop with the stuttering!" Mason roars advancing towards Peter only to grab him by the arm and start shaking the slight boy. "You know how I hate the stuttering. You're 15 for Christ's sake. Act like it!" "I know. I'm sorry." "Good I'm not trying to be mean but you should know better than to do things to purposely annoy me. Here," he shoves a few pieces of candy into the boy's hand before dropping him back onto the bed. "That should hold you over until your aunt comes home and I finish dinner." Without another look, he turns and stalks back out the door to do whatever he was before. Peter carefully lifts the sleeve of his shirt up to see the start of another bruise. It was as if the man had no idea how strong he was sometimes. Peter knows he should be more careful around him and this is all his fault for making him upset again. He won't make this mistake again. At least he hopes.

His life is what he's grown to know as the personification of hell. A fifteen-year-old boy trapped within his home, becoming a prisoner of his own home. All because one selfish idiot decides to act up and get the young small teen into trouble. Or, in other words, likes to torment up to the point Peter thinks he's in trouble. Since Mason has moved in, Peter has become more and more miserable. He used to be so happy and chirpy, and now he's become a stuttering, withdrawn shaken up mess. The feeling of walking on eggshells in his own home had him living on the edge. Not at all helping his anxiety and nerves that would make him become the stuttering mess he is usually. Always feeling like a deer caught in headlights. Looking so innocent and thinking your in trouble, when in reality you did nothing wrong. Whereas Peter, he constantly thinks on that thought. Believing that he's done something wrong to deserve all of this. Who knows, but the young lad had a feeling it is to do with what's coming up in the next few weeks. Peter is dreading it.

And by "it" he means that announcement to see which of his classmates qualifies for the newest position at Stark industries. The school was picked for having the best and brightest minds of the generation and the entire student population got an application to be Tony Stark's personal assistant, a position that hadn't even existed a few months ago. It will be a huge honor to hold the title and the winner will only be spending every other week at school. The other weeks will be spent with Mr. Stark and learning directly from him. Peter knows that it's a stretch to imagine himself in the position while there are tons of other kids that are more intelligent than he is. Although he can't help but allow May to get his hopes up about the internship. It isn't until late at night after May falls asleep that Mason comes into Peter's Room and tells him how he shouldn't get too hopeful because of how whining he can get. Even if he is proved to be smart that doesn't mean Mr. Stark will tolerate his presence for a very long time. Peter tries to stomp down his initial panic at the number of people in the hallway when he finally arrives at school. This fear of large crowds and overall anxiety has only developed recently so he tries to act as normally as to not worry the few friends he's managed to make. "Hey Penis," a hand slams his locker close a fraction of a second after he moved his own. just what I need this morning, he thinks to himself. "Have you heard the news?" Flash asks only to waves away his nonexistent answer. "What am I talking about of course you haven't. The principal has been calling a few students to the office for the next step of the application. But of course, you're not down there seeing as you're too poor and stupid to even be considered, I bet they burned your papers before even sending it to waste Tony's time." Peter wants to point out that Flash isn't down in the principal's office either but holds his tongue as the bully continues to run his mouth. "In fact, I'm on my way down there now. I better hurry so that they don't waste any more time. Everyone knows that I'm getting that internship with how much money my parents contribute to the school and they have stocks in Stark Industries." Peter knows that he should just let it go and move on with his life but he can't help open his mouth to dig himself a deeper hole. "So you're only getting the internship because of mommy and daddy's money? Gee Flash I'm sure Mr. Stark is looking or at least a little talent. And if now then a little personality couldn't hurt." A few students snigger having heard both sides of the conversation. "That not what I... I meant... Listen, Penis," "I am listening you're just not saying anything," Before Peter could flinch away from the impending fist a hand clamps down on his arm and quickly walks him down the hall towards his first class. He has to swallow his wince of pain and instead tries to focus on his best friend's voice.
"Haha, Peter. Always joking and being so funny." He speaks again but this time quieter. "You don't need to antagonize Flash like that. Need I remind you all the times he's beat the both of us up. Or how about all the times he's shoved you in a locker." "Oh come on Ned. He totally walked into it," Peter tries to defend himself but Ned only shakes his head. "The teacher's been looking for you anyway. Says he has something important to tell you." When the two walk into the classroom the whole room turns to them as the teacher cuts off her conversation with another student. "Peter they need you to report to the principal's office immediately. Take all of your belongings."