Chapter 8 | Cold, Dark and Wet

AN : Thought I'd try and publish a few chapters closer together, despite them being a good length of words I want to provide you guys with more chapters for sure :)

I also thought I'd provide some songs for atmosphere along with each chapter, so from now on I will list them before each chapter in the AN.

Some from the previous chapters :

1 - A Quiet Life / Marco Beltrami ~ Ember walking through the bodies.
2 - Throne / Saint Mesa ~ Ember going up the stairs to the House of Wind.
4 - Atlas : Hearing / Sleeping at Last ~ Ember looking out from the balcony.
5 - Warriors / Imagine Dragons ~ Shadows imploding and stabbing Azriel.
6 - Secrets and Lies / Ruelle
7 - Losing Hold / Esterly

Other than that, enjoy this chapter! Love you guys!

———————————————————————

TW : Descriptions of Gore, Bad Language and some Sexual References

Song : Deep End ~ Ruelle

Chapter 8 | Cold, Dark and Wet

Azriel

"I want her awake and in the training arena by tomorrow dawn."

Azriel didn't even spin in surprise of Cass's voice behind him as he stood still in that hallway.

His shadows had already stretched to find the Avilon girl looking out of the balcony with the stew she stole, and Azriel's body was still left tense from the previous encounter in the study.

The way she looked at him struck something into his soul.

Slowly turning to look onwards off the daze, he walked forward to lean against the lifted archways as he sensed Cass sit down at the table.

The shadow singer needn't say a word for Cassian to start.

"Rhys figured best that we find out what she is fully capable of before we potentially let her stay -"

"What?"

He spun now, eyes fixated onto his brother.

Why the fuck would we let her stay?

Cassian paused mid chew, as Azriel gathered his rage, his brother slowly grabbed another handful of nuts in his fist, before proceeding to chuck more into his mouth he leaned further back.

"Well -" he swallowed. "We figured that she can't do much harm now - she's exhausted and -"

He reached for more, "- Rhys believes that after letting her go once that he will never do it again. Even if she hates him. You know his moral code, and he made that promise." He chucked the remaining nuts from his fist into his mouth.

Azriel couldn't help but bristle. "A promise which he failed to upkeep 500 years ago. Why should that promise matter now."